Help please (1 Viewer)

kalinda

HSC
i cant answer this question - well i can sort of just i am not really all that good at evaluating so if anyone could help that would be great
its an 8marker question
addition reactions are important type of chemical reaction. Evaluate the impact of this reaction of the plastic/polymer industry on society and the environment

thanks

Faera

i cant answer this question - well i can sort of just i am not really all that good at evaluating so if anyone could help that would be great
its an 8marker question
addition reactions are important type of chemical reaction. Evaluate the impact of this reaction of the plastic/polymer industry on society and the environment

okay do it in steps/layers:

1) outline what addition reactions are (polymerisation without loss of molecules... blah blah) and some things you know about them- like, they require large energy input, they dont occur naturally... etc...
2) outline what the plastic/polymer insustry is... and what they do. you need to say where they get their materials from (crude oil) and link this section to the first section by mentioning that ethylene is made from addition polymerisation
3) Talk a bit about ethylene- uses, properties.
4) Society: ethylene- plastic in great demand, used to make toys, etc etc... mention 2 uses that make things more comfortable for us, easier for us... (and mention something something that effects YOU- teachers like that...)
5) Environment: link back to 2- crude oil- mining, it's all bad... non-renewable- the usual stuff.

well
hope i helped
I think that's a thorough answer, but i could be missing a few things
if you link it well you should get the 8 marks

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Following on from Faera's answer, I would add a couple of comments:

1. Make sure you distinguish between "addition reaction" - ie the general class of reactions - and specifically addition polymerisation. These aren't the same.

2. The question says "Evaluate". The single most important part of the answer is thus an evaluation - so you need to make a judgement as to size. If you don't do this, you could discuss 50 relevant points and still lose several marks.

Your evaluation should logically follow from the discussion you have written - it doesn't matter what you conclude, so long as it is reasonable, and that it follows logically from the preceeding points.

If you follow Faera's outline, your evaluation should be along the lines of large positive impact on society, in terms of improved standard of living, etc, accompanied by a substantial negative impact on the environment.

WATCH OUT for questions that require a judgement (assess and evaluate, for example) - missing it can throw away lots of marks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)