my subjects are

Business Studies
Eco
Legal
Maths (2 unit)
English (advanced)
English (extension)
Modern History

Im going to do 12 units in yr 12 because 13 is too much however i dont want to drop any of my 2 unit subjects because that will drop me to 11 unites and im not too sure about my maths so i would like to have that extra subject up my sleeve incase i fuck up maths. So should i just drop ext english now and put myself on 12 units for yr 11 or ......... what??:confused:

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
Originally posted by username
i am currently in yr 11 doing 13 units,

my subjects are

Business Studies
Eco
Legal
Maths (2 unit)
English (advanced)
English (extension)
Modern History

Im going to do 12 units in yr 12 because 13 is too much however i dont want to drop any of my 2 unit subjects because that will drop me to 11 unites and im not too sure about my maths so i would like to have that extra subject up my sleeve incase i fuck up maths. So should i just drop ext english now and put myself on 12 units for yr 11 or ......... what??:confused:
well I think that if you are good at english there is no reason why you should drop extension english (plus it scales good). If you aren't good at maths then drop it, ok so you'll have 11 units if you do this, but if you are good at everything else you are reasonably safe.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Drop maths. If you do shit the scaling will fuck you up.
You do realise it isnt a waste doing 11 units cos they get split into single units for your UAI

SoFTuaRiaL

Re: Re: Help Please

Originally posted by Ultimate

well I think that if you are good at english there is no reason why you should drop extension english (plus it scales good). If you aren't good at maths then drop it, ok so you'll have 11 units if you do this, but if you are good at everything else you are reasonably safe.
it also depends on what u wanna do at uni ....... certain degrees have atleast 2 units of maths as assumed knowledge (no courses have ext english as assumed knowledge ) !! so i suggest u dont drop the maths unless u dont mind doing the bridging course ..... my best bet wud be to drop business std. coz if u dont wanna get scaled down bad, u gotta b at the top !!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
ummm if your crap at maths your not gonna choose a course at uni that has 2 unit maths as assumed knowledge!!

username

HSC
im not that crap at maths, im aiming at high seventies to mid eighties, and i wanna do a bachelor of commerce so i need maths. So confusing, i hate school!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
sorry when people say they are crap at maths they are usually looking at 50-60
ummmm don't drop extension, its easy marks but theres no way you'll be able to do 13 units for your HSC, not enough hours in the day.

bobo123

HSC
wow, the social science triple

how mad would it be if you topped the lot keke

having 13 units is a lot
having 12 units is a lot
GO the 10!

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by YEAR12
sorry when people say they are crap at maths they are usually looking at 50-60
ummmm don't drop extension, its easy marks but theres no way you'll be able to do 13 units for your HSC, not enough hours in the day.
I did 14 units in year 11 and 13 in the HSC. There are in fact enough hours in the day...just :D.

If you want to do commerce at uni 2U maths is necessary, and I wouldn't drop any of the others unless I really had to. I liked the idea of insurance, with 3 units to throw out you feel much more secure :).

bobo123 - what do you like about doing 10 units? If you are doing a lot of things outside school 10 units is the way to go IMO, otherwise I think anyone can organise themselves to do 12 units. Admittedly, there were times at sports training when I really wondered why I chose to do 13 units, you get home exhausted and there's still work to do :p

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by username
i am currently in yr 11 doing 13 units,

my subjects are

Business Studies
Eco
Legal
Maths (2 unit)
English (advanced)
English (extension)
Modern History

I agree with kini mini, I did 13 U and it was managable, just be prepared to work hard.

DON'T DROP EXT ENG, you'll love year 12 ext eng as it is far better than advanced.

if it was me i would drop english extension, cause english adv. is a lot of work already + fairly good scaling and it seems that you're complaining about the work-keep maths you obviously need it for uni.Do you really need legal studies? if not drop that instead.

only you know what you want and need

username

HSC
no i dont need legal studies but like i said before i dont want to drop a subject worth 2 units.

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Almighty Jafar
if it was me i would drop english extension, cause english adv. is a lot of work already + fairly good scaling and it seems that you're complaining about the work-keep maths you obviously need it for uni.Do you really need legal studies? if not drop that instead.

only you know what you want and need
English Extension seemed to be a better bet for many of my friends, who used it to replace one of their adv units. I was so sick of the year 11 course I dropped it ASAP, but from all accounts the year 12 course is better and offers the possibility of unloading half of adv eng.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of ur future prospects - u should drop Modern History, as it really doesnt provide u with anything for a BComm.

Originally posted by MinAi
In terms of ur future prospects - u should drop Modern History, as it really doesnt provide u with anything for a BComm.
yeh, i would take minai's advice- drop modern history, caus you'll need everything else to go well in ur course.Modern history is really just a bonus subject in my opinion for you.

bobo123

HSC
Originally posted by kini mini

bobo123 - what do you like about doing 10 units? If you are doing a lot of things outside school 10 units is the way to go IMO, otherwise I think anyone can organise themselves to do 12 units. Admittedly, there were times at sports training when I really wondered why I chose to do 13 units, you get home exhausted and there's still work to do :p
i have sport commitments as well as a bit of extracurricular stuff like debating and chess.........

but yea..... im just lazy

foxy

i was made for lovin u...
i've sorta been in this situation...i was doing 13 units too (with the ext. english) in yr 11 but i didnt drop any subjects because its JUST year 11!

so when we hit yr 12 this year i was contemplating whether to drop community and family studies OR extension english..and in the end i dropped CaFS so i now have 11 units! im happy, and even though my maths is shit too, im working on it because i have the extra time now! and i heard that extension english is a good scaler (but dont know whether its tru or not) and trust me...the year 11 ext english is crap but the yr 12 stuff is great!

its really up to you to consider whether u make use of the extra time u have, when u drop a sub, like you can work on your maths more etc etc.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you're not sure yet-just keep them all for the time being! You can always drop one later on, and it will probably get a bit more clearer once you are a bit further into year 12-I foudn there was a big difference in the way I felt towards my subjects between year 11 and 12! So if you really don't know either way, wait awhile-say, until after the half yearlys.
Also-try speaking to your careers advisor. Show them your marks from last year, and tell them what you plan on doing at UNI, and they will probably be able to give you the best advice.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)