help please (1 Viewer)

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
I think my brother is using a program called realvnc to look at what im doing on my computer from his computer.Our pcs are networked. I saw it on my pc and deleted it.
Is there anyway that I can block the program
Thanks

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
If you have a firewall on the computer, you can set it to deny all access to that program accessing the network. A better way is just to check it isn't running in the taskbar while you're working.

sunny

meh.
HSC
RealVNC can't run without you knowing. You can look for it in the system tray, and turn the server program off when you use the computer. You can even tell when someone is connected by looking at the colour of the RealVNC icon's colour in the system tray.

fatmuscle

HSC
side note:

when you have realvnc running, and ur computer is idle, it chews away your RAM.

but yes, removing the program is the best way to 'block' it.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
OZGIRL86 said:
I think my brother is using a program called realvnc to look at what im doing on my computer from his computer.Our pcs are networked.
Your brother is a creepy nerd.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
wats so bad bout wat ur doin on the net ay ozie?
and i nod my head in agreeance to jumb

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Hehe remindss me of those key loggers, some of them were undetectable. Also those programs that take screenshots every few seconds.

sunny

meh.
HSC
HellVeN said:
Hehe remindss me of those key loggers, some of them were undetectable. Also those programs that take screenshots every few seconds.
RealVNC/WinVNC clones whatever is on your screen and streams it live over a network. There are options to remotely control the PC too. But this program is not some underground hack, its a readily avaliable freeware program that people use with good reason.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
sunny said:
RealVNC/WinVNC clones whatever is on your screen and streams it live over a network. There are options to remotely control the PC too. But this program is not some underground hack, its a readily avaliable freeware program that people use with good reason.
Ive seen similar programs and they're very usefull in tech support.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
maybe your brother is using your webcam to take pics of you and post themo n the net for geek points!?!!

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
MedNez said:
If you have a firewall on the computer, you can set it to deny all access to that program accessing the network. A better way is just to check it isn't running in the taskbar while you're working.
How do I know if I have a firewall on my computer?
It isn't running in my taskbar but I often see it running in his.

sunny said:
RealVNC can't run without you knowing. You can look for it in the system tray, and turn the server program off when you use the computer. You can even tell when someone is connected by looking at the colour of the RealVNC icon's colour in the system tray.

fatmuscle said:
side note:

when you have realvnc running, and ur computer is idle, it chews away your RAM.

but yes, removing the program is the best way to 'block' it.

oh sometimes I notice my pc going slow and I press ctrl alt del, and when I go to processes down the bottom its say 100% usuage, could it be because real vnc is running without me knowing?

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
beccaxx said:
wats so bad bout wat ur doin on the net ay ozie?
and i nod my head in agreeance to jumb
Nothing, I just don't like him using that program when I'm on the net, sometimes I can tell because he controls it, like using my mouse from his pc etc.

AsyLum said:
maybe your brother is using your webcam to take pics of you and post themo n the net for geek points!?!!
lol, his not a geek.
i don't have a webcam, he does though

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Lets ping sunny's comp: 192.168.1.3 :D

EDIT:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ping 192.168.1.3

Pinging 192.168.1.3 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.3:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>

Last edited:

MedNez

HSC
N/A
If you don't have a firewall on your computer, the best idea is to take sunnys advice and just watch out for it in the taskbar. It isn't something you can just miss easily :)

fatmuscle

HSC
I'm not sure about the later version of RealVNC.

I think now that you can get it to startup as a 'service' so the icon does not appear down in your taskbar, and when you go to processes in after pressing CAD, you'll be able to see the specific process, and how much resources it is taking up.

a simple highlight and 'end task/process' will do the trick.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Let's all ping 127.0.0.1 while we're at it ...

\edit\ I'm not sure if AntiHyper is serious. For the benefit of those confused, 192.168.* is an internal network address. Good luck pinging it over the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)