help please (1 Viewer)

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Mercury is toxic:

• Minimata (Japan)(~1953) — Hg2+ in bay from industry; enters food-chain & seafood; 52-1400 die, many — 30,000 in some estimates — permanently affected.

• Guatemala(~1962-5) — spate of ‘encephalitis’ in poor children actually Hg poisoning from eating Hg-treated grain (~40 dead, many permanently affected).

• Iraq(~1971-2) — famine: Hg-treated grain eaten many 100’s die, 1000’s permanently affected.

• USA(1996-7) — Chemistry Professor Karen Wetterhahn spills a drop dimethylmercury on her gloves. Despite immediately removing them and extensive
treatment, she dies a year later.

Don't eat whale meat. Whales being on top of the marine food chain have high mercury levels. In some false killer whales in excess of over 10000%.
http://www.safetyfirst.gr.jp/english/events/85th_food_hygienics_meeting01.html

in nature:
Hg2+ is methylated by anaerobic bacteria and enters foodchain.

in the body:
lipid soluble Me-Hg–S-(cysteine) forms & crosses blood-brain barrier;
destroys nerve cell membranes by hydrolysis of a,b-unsaturated lipids

Last edited:

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
What do you want to know about them?! In a general hand-waving terms?

I know plenty about atomic absorption spectroscopy (shucks I was using it last Friday). Y'Know it was an Australian invention .. no?! Well you do now.

HSC
go to your library and grab chemistry books, i found a fair bit of info on batteries on the internet, but the books from the library where spot on, try them, or look up research of arsenic, and other metals you're after, usually if theyve done something ugly they'll be on the history of it, ie. wikipedia?

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
usually it is best to have 'edu' in the domain, but they should be fine. You just need to reference them correctly.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
How about uranium mining activity ~ the massive quantities involved could easily lead to lead (lead to lead??!) getting into soils and then leaching into the waterways.

Just a thought.

standup

HSC
hey

Analyse the range and chemistry of the tests used to:
- identify heavy metal pollution of water.

HELP.. need a site or something

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
Riddles said:
thats the same that i'm asking of u ppl
No it isn't ~ I could crap on about analytical chemistry, but you say you want effects of heavy metals in waterways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)