Help pls- year 11 student undergoing an Early- life crisis (1 Viewer)

shrapnel220200

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone- a year 11 here in need of your help. I am in stuck in deciding what to do for next year. Current subjects; ext 1 maths, adv English, chem, phys, bio and ancient.

Next year, after looking at all my subject choices, I feel like doing: Bio, ext 1 maths, phys, Religion Studies 1 and adv English. I suck equally at phys and chem (69-ish in physics, 77 in chem, but physics has been steadily improved where-as Chem has declined sorta and I am now liking phys more now that I have a tutor.

I don't know what to do with Ancient, my marks are bipolar, averaging a 79. Although unless I get like a 99 in the yearly, I would rather drop and do SoR 1, and I have a friend who I can get like all the her work off, IF needed.

I guess my actual question now is any thoughts? Also what is scaling of SoR 1? Is Ancient really worth, I found I had to remember too many topics, where-as doing SoR 1 would be good as I occasionally read religious scriptures and we have a beast Christian teacher who knows a fair bit on other religions.

Cheers

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Just do what you enjoy. Also reading scriptures won't do much for SOR because you just need quotes, and you do 2 religions for SOR 1. 1 religion for the short answer section and 1 religion for the essay depending on what your school does.

shrapnel220200

HSC
N/A
Okay cool, thanks for the quick reply.
By scriptures, I probably should really say;
Search Google: quotes from quaran/bible. It just sounds nice saying scriptures.
Can SoR 1 be picked up in year 12, or is it a 2 year course? Also any info on scaling, I get really mixed opinions.

CarbonRiot

HSC
I am currently doing SOR II, and although there is no year 11 continuation like in Maths, it is somewhat helpful to have completed SOR II in Year 11. Year 11 provides a base of information on the religions that you will probably be studying in Year 12, which is helpful as a lot of the knowledge in Year 12 of the religions themselves is assumed knowledge. For example, learning about the Four Noble truths in Year 11 is helpful in a topic about bioethics and Buddhism (i'm not really sure what is studied in SOR 1 Unit as I do 2 Unit) But that may have just been because the teacher that I have had no need to go back over that sort of stuff because the whole class did Year 11 SOR. So I don't think it's too essential to have done Year 11 SOR, and the things learnt in Year 11 could be pretty easily learnt if needed. Hopefully this helps. RE scaling i'm unsure.

Good luck :)

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The mantra here has mostly been: do what you enjoy. I say: do what you (may) need, not what you necessarily enjoy.

Last edited:

shrapnel220200

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that CarbonRiot and Drongoski,

Hopefully there aren't too many expectations in terms of assumed knowledge, guess I can catch up a full 3 terms worth of work over the holidays...

CarbonRiot, do you find SoR II very difficult? Like how much time/week do you study 2 weeks before exams for it?

CarbonRiot

HSC
Generally, the knowledge is pretty easy to pick up, it's just a bit difficult getting your head around religions and cultures that you didn't grow up in and therefore don't really understand. Most of study goes to memorizing quotes and studying pre-written essays which can get a bit tedious, but I think the information that you learn is valuable for the wider world in understanding other cultures and religions from their points of perspective. Leading up to my trials that I recently had, I spent most of my time allocated to SOR to summarizing my essays, which took a while but is not necessary for all students to do, it's just the way I learn the best. This probably took 2 weeks doing an hour every few days. I essentially only started reading over my notes and memorizing them 1 or 2 nights before the exam, which I got 87% in. So I think it's really achievable to do SOR, and the content is fairly straight forward, and at times quite enjoyable and fascinating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)