• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help plz (1 Viewer)

soulz

HSC
Heyz, I have concerns with choosing the BBusinessBComputing at UTS as one of my prefs for 2006 .

- My major concern is the level of maths that the Comp side of the degree has ( as i only did general maths for the HSC). I also heard the comp side of the degree has no maths subjects although it involves logical thinking. Can someone who has or is currently doing the course shed some light on this., thanks. ( An overview much like Jasee's one of the BBus side but this time on the BComp side will be much appreciated.)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I've been planning on finishing my overview...someday :p. You won't do much maths in IT. Infact you'll do more maths on the Business side of your degree. It'll mostly be statistics and financial maths, so since you've done general maths, you might have done some of that stuff already. Don't worry too much about the maths requirement. If you have the UAI to get into the course, and have an interest in both IT and Business, then go for it.

soulz

HSC
Comp side of BBusComp

I see, so the assumed knowledge of 2 unit maths and recommended Ext 1 maths is not really needed then?

Another question, is the comp side more thoery or practical based?, Like do we learn out of text books alot, or do we get to go on comps and learn at the same time while the lecterer instructs us on what to do, etc, etc.

Also, are the tests on the comp side of the degree more practical or theory based?

Oh yeah, plz finish your overview Jasee on the comp side of the degree ASAP, thanks for your help. :)

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I wouldn't worry about the Maths too much. You're General Maths should get you through fine. The IT courses are more practical based, as you'll do a lot of practical exercises in labs for a lot of subjects. Most subjects are taught with a lecture and then a tutorial or lab (or both), so in the lectures you will learn the theory and then in the labs you will apply them. For subjects like Information Systems, it will mostly be theory, but for subjects like Programming it will pretty much be all practical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)