• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Help..question Regarding Preferences (1 Viewer)

Too right

HSC
Hey
I was wondering if anoyone could help me out with a question that i have regarding uni preferences

I attained a uai of 94.5 and my first preference is law at macquarie uni, however the cut-off is 95.5.

If i were to put law as my first preference with hope that the cut-off may go down (although most unlikely) and i missed out, would i still be selected equally with all other candidates for my second preference which is bachelor of commerce at macquarie uni?

I would not like to put law first, miss out on that, and then miss out on my second preference too if my second preference course filled up by the time that considered it.

THANK YOU

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Too right said:
Hey
I was wondering if anoyone could help me out with a question that i have regarding uni preferences

I attained a uai of 94.5 and my first preference is law at macquarie uni, however the cut-off is 95.5.

If i were to put law as my first preference with hope that the cut-off may go down (although most unlikely) and i missed out, would i still be selected equally with all other candidates for my second preference which is bachelor of commerce at macquarie uni?

I would not like to put law first, miss out on that, and then miss out on my second preference too if my second preference course filled up by the time that considered it.

THANK YOU

The career's advisor at my school explains the allocation like this:

1. Those with a UAI of 100 are allocated first and should all get their first preference - unless they all chose the same course and it has a really really small intake

2. Next those with a UAI of 99.99 are allocated and again should get their first preference but.... it is possible for them to miss in theory - see point 1 above!

3. Then 99.98s are allocated - by now some may very well be into their second preference but again that would be rare

4. Then the 99.97s etc

As each UAI result is allocated and courses fill the allocation automatically goes to the second or later preference when that UAI is reached through the allocation process.

The computer allocates according to the UAIs first and only looks at preferences once the courese are full - just like sorting columns in excel!!!

Remember though that you will get your first preference if you have the UAI for it even though you may also have a UAI for a course with a higher UAI cut-off but you put it as a lower preference:

e.g. First preference course - cut-off - 89
Second preference course - cut-off - 94

Your actual UAI 94.5

In this scenario you would get your first preference and not be considered for your second one.

In your specific case I would put down Law first and then Commerce BUT.... first of all I would check with the UAC, Macquarie Uni or your career's advisor or even all three and not rely on someone who thinks they know due to hearing someone explain it regularly to Year 12 students and having asked her many times so that I can be sure to be giving accurate info when students are filling in the applications rather than listening to my dulcet tones attempting to educate them on the importance of ancient and/or modern history topics!!!

I don't believe that it is possible for someone with a lower UAI to get into your second preference course instead of you just because they had it as their first preference once you have been eliminated from eligibility for your first preference.

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
Until one of your preferences has a cutoff equal to or lower than your UAI based on this years choices all the preferences will be equally considered (as in if you dont make your number 1 choice this will NOT affect the selection process for other preferences)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the info cem- you (or your careers advisor) explained it really well, although I think the UAI only goes up/down in 0.05 increments.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
Too right said:
Hey

THANK YOU

simple answer....YES.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)