Help Quickly (1 Viewer)

Jooooo

HSC
If you have a galvanic cell with a Zn electrode and Zn ions in solution on one side and a Pt electrode with H2 gas being bubbled over it and H ions in solution which is the oxidising and which is reducing. (what is the effect of the H2 gas)

HSC
Check the potential standards table. The more reactive one ( the most negative E) will be the one that has been oxidised.

Jooooo

HSC
Yeah i know that, but what effect does bubbling hydrogen gas over the inert electrde have - i.e does it effect whether the hydrogen oxidises or reducts?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
H2 dissolved in solution cannot be a proper electrode by itself because it is all over the place.
H2 is bubbled onto the Pt so it can now become an "electrode".
An electrode for the H2 gas must be inert so its inclusion does not affect the experiment to a great extent, so Pt is chosen.

H2 is the one to be reacted with, not Pt because it is inert and must be inert.

Hope that helps.

meomeo said:
does it turn everything into apples : D ?
I waaant to eat YUO !

Season

HSC
Jooooo said:
Yeah i know that, but what effect does bubbling hydrogen gas over the inert electrde have - i.e does it effect whether the hydrogen oxidises or reducts?
The inert electrode just takes it out of the possibilities for getting reduced/oxidised, you just don't consider it at all. It doesn't increase the chances its just that the electrode always has to be considered as a possible species to oxidise/reduce you are told otherwise.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Jooooo said:
If you have a galvanic cell with a Zn electrode and Zn ions in solution on one side and a Pt electrode with H2 gas being bubbled over it and H ions in solution which is the oxidising and which is reducing. (what is the effect of the H2 gas)
Not quite sure what you're asking there...do you mean to ask at which electrode is oxidation taking place and at which is reduction taking place? (if so, since hydrogen gas forms at Pt, you know that reduction of hydrogen ions occur there, so Pt is the cathode) Or do you mean which electrode is oxidising/reducing? (in this case, Pt is inert, while Zn undergoes oxidation ie. lose electrons) These are different questions, one regarding the redox reactions of the substances in the solution while the other regarding the redox reactions of the electrodes.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)