• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HELP REQUIRED ASAP! (2 Viewers)

ylhd

HSC
Okay, long story short, becoming a surgeon was always in the back of my mind but I didn't end up picking any science related subjects at school and got an ATAR of 85.05, now I've realised that I want to do surgery but I don't know what hope I have of getting into a course as i've left it too late.

My first preference is a teaching degree, so is it possible that I can change that in the late round to a bachelor of arts or a bachelor of science then transfer after one year to bachelor of medicine/surgery at UWS.
If not am I able to wait and go in as a mature age student??

If someone could please give me some detailed and realistic advice on what I could possible do to ensure I make it in to the course of my dreams, that would be great.

enoilgam

HSC
Medicine is by far the hardest university course to get into. In my opinion, if a person says they want to be a doctor, its like them saying "I want to play professional soccer" or "I want to be an actor", in that many people try but only a few make it. With an ATAR of 85, I think its pretty much impossible to transfer into undergrad medicine, as they will consider your university marks in addition to your ATAR. You could have a chance at grad medicine, but you will need great uni marks and a good performance in the GAMSAT (which requires 1st year university level knowledge of chemistry and biology as well as year 12 physics). So if I were you, I would seriously think about medicine and whether you really want to do it, because it isnt something you do on a lark - it will take a high degree of work and intellect to have a chance.

I wish I could say it was easier, but unfortunately, its very very hard and some people try for years and fail multiple times to get in.

ylhd

HSC
Medicine is by far the hardest university course to get into. In my opinion, if a person says they want to be a doctor, its like them saying "I want to play professional soccer" or "I want to be an actor", in that many people try but only a few make it. With an ATAR of 85, I think its pretty much impossible to transfer into undergrad medicine, as they will consider your university marks in addition to your ATAR. You could have a chance at grad medicine, but you will need great uni marks and a good performance in the GAMSAT (which requires 1st year university level knowledge of chemistry and biology as well as year 12 physics). So if I were you, I would seriously think about medicine and whether you really want to do it, because it isnt something you do on a lark - it will take a high degree of work and intellect to have a chance.

I wish I could say it was easier, but unfortunately, its very very hard and some people try for years and fail multiple times to get in.
Thanks for the reply, what are the options if I want to gain entry as a postgraduate ?

hayabusaboston

HSC
If you want to gain entry as postgrad you have to do another degree/s at Uni and as enoligam said, get GREAT marks and also sit the GAMSAT. It will take you a few extra years to get in BUT with enough work and good results you will get in.

ylhd

HSC
If you want to gain entry as postgrad you have to do another degree/s at Uni and as enoligam said, get GREAT marks and also sit the GAMSAT. It will take you a few extra years to get in BUT with enough work and good results you will get in.
So would I be able to complete a graduate certificate in science at university or at tafe and then after that year sit the GAMSAT ? Also do you know what universities offer postgraduate medicine/surgery ?

HSC
Uni Grad
the only uni that still gives a shit about your atar after you start uni is unsw (and utas if you've completed <3 semesters)

start a uni course you know you'll be good at, think of it as a fresh clean start

1. get good uni marks
2. sit umat
3. impress interviewers
4. get into med

^easier said than done of course but you defs still have a shot

ylhd

HSC
the only uni that still gives a shit about your atar after you start uni is unsw (and utas if you've completed <3 semesters)

start a uni course you know you'll be good at, think of it as a fresh clean start

1. get good uni marks
2. sit umat
3. impress interviewers
4. get into med

^easier said than done of course but you defs still have a shot
So would I be able to do this at any university. I'm looking at postgrad courses and none seem to offer anything related to medicine/surgery. I just need help regarding what university to go to and what postgrad course to do in order to gain entry ? Thanks.

ylhd

HSC
Also, even if I don't end up pursuing surgery, could I please have some ideas that would require me to work in a hospital that I could gain undergraduate entry into with no science based HSC subjects and with an ATAR of 85 ?

HSC
Uni Grad
So would I be able to do this at any university. I'm looking at postgrad courses and none seem to offer anything related to medicine/surgery. I just need help regarding what university to go to and what postgrad course to do in order to gain entry ? Thanks.
that was the process for applying to undergrad, you can do this any year starting from 2012 provided you start any uni degree now

in australia there are 9 undergrad med schools and 11 postgrad med schools

you can apply to undergrad even if you're a postgrad

ylhd

HSC
It is possible (but quite unlikely, but still, try getting into science)

I recommend u do a science-based degree, so that u have enough science knowledge to do the GAMSAT (for graduate-entry medicine, after u finish ur degree).

U can do a completely non-sceince degree, but u'll have to study the sciences in ur own time if u plan to sit the GAMSAT test.

You are in the exact same situation as me... but I did chemistry and physics for HSC, got 86.9 ATAR (my mind was in turmoil during the exam period), and put med science at the top of my list. (I'm not too worried as I get bonus points.)

Have u ever attempted the UMAT (for undergraduate-entry medicine, after year12) before? cos u need to prep for it as soon as u can.

Judging from ur atar and ur ambition, I'm guessing ur from the south-western sydney area (possibly the asian area).... am I rite?
no im not asian nor am i from the south west lol

HSC
Uni Grad
oh btw

at some unis simply possessing a masters degree automatically grants you consideration into medicine regardless of your marks

but you also need a half-decent umat

HSC
Uni Grad
but just note, if you have the marks required to get into a masters program you probably already have the marks to get a med interview

Pfortune35

HSC
Its probably been said already but not getting into medicine undergrad is not the end of the world.
Most people currently studying medicine are doing it postgrad so you wont be behind by anyones standard.
Also most undergrad courses are 6 years, while postgrad is 7 years.

So the first step is getting into an undergraduate degree, which with 85 atar is not hard at all
makesure you do well in that (a distintion average is probably what u will need)

the next requirement is the gamsat, which you have one chance at a year
you should be doing the gamsat every year until you get a decent mark in it.

once you meet both of these requirements you should apply to as many med schools as possible.

do well in the interview and then your in.

It wont be easy, the gamsat is quite difficult and so it maintaining a distinction average, thats why hardwork is essential

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
that was the process for applying to undergrad, you can do this any year starting from 2012 provided you start any uni degree now

in australia there are 9 undergrad med schools and 11 postgrad med schools

you can apply to undergrad even if you're a postgrad
u can only apply to undergrad if you havent graduated with a bachelor's degree. once you have a bachelors on ur record, u can only go for postgrad universities.

HSC
Uni Grad
u can only apply to undergrad if you havent graduated with a bachelor's degree. once you have a bachelors on ur record, u can only go for postgrad universities.
uws, uncle/une and utas allow grads to apply for undergrad places

uws has lower gpa cutoffs for grads as well, 5.6 vs 6.5 for 1st years

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
i stand corrected.

i should rephrase though: the undergrad medical schools desperate for students allow postgrads to apply :p

<trollface>

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
med is the only degree where you dont think twice about accepting an offer if its ur only one, even if you gotta move half way across the country. in ur case its only like an hour drive (idk).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)