help: should i drop 3u maths? (1 Viewer)

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
hi,

ima bit confused atm. i don't know if i should drop 3unit maths?
atm i'm doin adv eng, anc his, ext his, SOR1, bio, chem and 3u maths. = 13 units.

will 3-unit maths help my scaling? or is it not worth it?
im not doin REALLY bad ...like not last in the class. My percentage last year was around 50%. (2 band 3s , 1 band 2) according to my teacher.
i am aiming for a UAI of high 80s (would love to get into the 90s!)
in all my other subjects i am getting a good rank (top 10 for all ex SOR1). My marks are decent in other sunjects. I'm trying to hold off dropping (if i drop) till when im really sure...cause you can't pick it back up.

3u maths is a prerequisite for some uni courses i want but will they acknowledge that i took it up for 1 n a half years?

one of my friends tells me i shouldn't drop it cause of the scalling.

thanks!

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
whoops sorry i mean i want to drop the THIRD unit of maths ...not 2u as well! :)

HSC
katarvey said:
hi,

ima bit confused atm. i don't know if i should drop 3unit maths?
atm i'm doin adv eng, anc his, ext his, SOR1, bio, chem and 3u maths. = 13 units.

will 3-unit maths help my scaling? or is it not worth it?
im not doin REALLY bad ...like not last in the class. My percentage last year was around 50%. (2 band 3s , 1 band 2) according to my teacher.
i am aiming for a UAI of high 80s (would love to get into the 90s!)
in all my other subjects i am getting a good rank (top 10 for all ex SOR1). My marks are decent in other sunjects. I'm trying to hold off dropping (if i drop) till when im really sure...cause you can't pick it back up.

3u maths is a prerequisite for some uni courses i want but will they acknowledge that i took it up for 1 n a half years?

one of my friends tells me i shouldn't drop it cause of the scalling.

thanks!
i'm divided....i'll just post some things to think about and let you make the decision :uhhuh:

from what im gathering, 3 unit maths will most likely not contribute anything to your UAI, especially if youre doing 13 units and (especially even more) three of those are one unit subjects...

what marks are you getting in your other subjects? if youre getting around 50% raw in three unit maths as a rough guide you will get about 70-75 after scaling. i don't know if thats good enough for you (or if it will count), but its something to think about. chances are extension history will cover your screw up subjects, before maths does anyway.

maybe you could treat it as your "non serious" (for need of a better word) unit? if you need it for uni the background is very handy, especially if you want do say a science (mainly physics) or engineering type course where the calculus you learned in three unit is used muchly.

i doubt its going to help your uai, so if its all about maximising your UAI as much as possible ALONE, then you should drop it. but consider that you will probably need three unit maths for uni (so you say), so its also worth keeping for that (and you don't have to take it TOO seriously, just get the background). yes sorry much food for thought there but if its important enough for you to post about then its important enough to think about...

hope it helps :wave:

kerfuffle

HSC
For me, Extension 1 Maths only added one extra point or so to my UAI. When I received my UAI notice, and saw that Extension 1, which I didn't bother studying for, as I thought it wouldn't count, actually got counted, I was very sad.
If you're doing crap in it, drop. You can always do bridging courses before university starts, can't you? *thinking*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)