Help! Smart people only! (1 Viewer)

poisonshot

HSC
Is this right or wrong? Like do i use past tense or present tense..?
"At the beginning of the novel, Billy DOESN'T belong at home... As the story progresses, he feels... At the end, he feels..."

So, do i use past tense like when i say " at the beginning of the novel, Billy didn't/ doesn't belong at home?
Should i use doesn't or didn't?

nifkeh

HSC
you can't come to the conclusion that they're telling the story immediately if you haven't seen the essay...

anyway I would use 'doesn't' instead of didn't, at least that's what I did in my belonging speech and generally what I would do in an essay

HSC
bad idea to relate billy Elliot to belonging since it is a prescribed text in another module.

nifkeh

HSC
^ yeah, you shouldn't use a prescribed text in any module of english whether it's extension or advanced or esl or standard as a related because.. your marks will be really low because they think you didn't bother to find a 'proper' related text

so you should find a different one before it's too late

poisonshot

HSC
thanks. I thought 'doesn't' sounded gramatically incorrect.

SanjoyM

HSC
Instead of using "doesn't" or "didn't", I would suggest that you rephrase your sentence - Initially, Billy lacks a sense of belonging - something like this!
Also, in HSC English, NEVER EVER use "didn't" - write it out as "did not"! Markers can be VERY pedantic, so be very careful.

SanjoyM

HSC
Or you could use: Through the striking contrast between Billy's distored filial bond, against his newfound relationships with Old Bill and Caitly, the role of positive relationships in bearing fruition to the individual's sense of self-value is illuminated.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
you can't come to the conclusion that they're telling the story immediately if you haven't seen the essay...

anyway I would use 'doesn't' instead of didn't, at least that's what I did in my belonging speech and generally what I would do in an essay
I wouldn't use contractions in any essay.

SanjoyM

HSC
Yes, avoid contractions, be overt and formulate writing with stylistic finesse! Good luck :)

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Just a general pointer, without having looked at the previous posts.

Never use contractions, always use the full word. IE 'did not' instead of 'didn't

HSC
N/A
Another general tip - Try to keep the same tense throughout your speech/essay/etc. Regardless of whether you end up deciding to go with past or present, or the active or passive voice, just try to keep your style consistent!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)