Help: Sparta essay (1 Viewer)

ThreeOne

HSC
Hey, I've never really been good at writing essays and I'll like to ask you for your assistance on this one.

Here's the question:

"Whilst most parts of the Greek world viewed the state of Sparta with suspicion and disdain, Sparta remained steadfast in its military training and shared way of life for the good of the state. Discuss this statement. Essay is to be a minimum of 1500 words in length"

I was thinking that the question will require me to find quotes from ancient historians, such as Aristotle, Plutarch, Xenophon, Pausanias and so on, that highlights their view of them as suspicious and despicable. Is this correct? Also, in addition to the quotes, would I need to to give examples of the general views of the Spartans that the other Greek states had of them at the time? If so, what are some examples of their views, or at least direct me as to where can I find such information?

I also don't quite understand what the question means when it says "shared way of life". Can you explain and give me a few examples of the "shared way of life for the good of the state".

Finally, how would I link the Greek world's views of the Spartans to the Spartans enduring military life and so on? Would something like this work: Historian X says "The Spartan's military training is brutal, inhumane and lacks foresight", but regardless, the Spartan's remained steadfast in their education of youths?

Sorry for the trouble. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

adrenaline rush

Schoolies 1-18/Dec/06
HSC
That question's practically telling you to put the whole syllabus in an essay!

You need to always include both perspectives rather than just those who didn't like the Spartans e.g. Plato vs. Aristotle. Also with the other states, that's not really a part of the syllabus but you could mention it, especially in comparison to Athens. I can't be bothered to get my notes out right now, but off the top of my head Spartan women were nicknamed 'thigh-flashers' because their clothing was revealing, Aristotle feared gynakrokratia, and Plato admired the Spartan political system. Also include modern historians views, especially on their suggestions as to why the ancient historians wrote that way about Sparta. Keep in mind all Spartan 'doings' were meant for the absolute good of the state!

Where you can find the info? all the anc. historians you mentioned and don't forget Plato (i think its Republic and ur teacher should know the exact sources for the rest). Modern historians include Cartledge, Powell... and i can't remember who else i had. BTW if this is just an assignment rather than a major assessment it's more important to get the info in rather than a gazillion quotes, but its good to have plenty of good solid quotes and sources by the end of it.

Shared way of life refers to the syssitia, military (+ agoge), religion.... basically anything they did together- Spartan doctrine was somewhat based on comradeship.

In terms of quoting historians always include the base info first, and then say something like- "...however Historian X speculates ----" or "Historian Y concurs, suggesting that". Your example is fine, but you need to show both sides in terms of "remained steadfast in their education of youths" maybe refer to Plutarch. BTW you don't need actual quotes, i was told that references are fine. One more thing- refer to specific terms such as the 'agoge' instead of "education of youths.

If you're really struggling them PM me and i'll share some of my notes and sources. :wave:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)