Help, Standard/Advanced English Question (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Hi
Got 43.5% in prelim adv final exam, my year mark was 55.31% and my rank was 37/38 should I drop to std or keep adv?

Envoytheguy

HSC
Drop to Standard. If you're going to get 43.5% and be the bottom of advanced, you're better off being at the top (or in the top half/near to of bottom half) in standard than at the bottom of Advanced. UNLESS you can put full commitment to push up that mark.

Last edited:

jazzbaby

HSC
well its really ur decision
but did u put in a genuine effort in the exam? did you study?

i mean if you know you tried ur absolute best and are just barely passing then i think you should consider dropping.
and dont just keep advanced for the sake of it..its not gonna get any easier

and

unless you are willing to fully commit and prepare yourself better then yeah standard is the way to go

but yeah
lol
good luck with making your decision

btw what is it you want to do after hsc is over?

kelvin92

HSC
i have the same problem atm. time to choose between eng adv/std. im scoring 30/50 for adv. sittin on average for my grade. tho head teacher is giving the advice that doing GREAT in standard is BETTER than doing AVERAGE in advanced. this is because it will give me a better end result for UAI ? and why are some people so strong willed about NO STANDARD english? is it jst because of the scaling? cuz scaling dont apply to the bottom half of any subject. so i dont think theres a point for ME or the OP to do it ? any advice?

tc.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
k, im dropping.

Does adv scale higher the std?
I want to do a B of Sci but it looks like I wont get a UAI f more then 50, so I really just want this gay year to finish because im getting sick thinking about it.

adidasboy

weee
HSC
Keep Advanced. Work harder, you got to push yourself more. Don't give up!! Unless you have given it your absolute best effort, don't drop.

melbel911

HSC
hey.
My yr 12 teacher told me that dropping to standard, that i would be capable of increasing my marks by 20%.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
If you work your butt off (like..truly) you can probably achieve good marks. It would be better to do averagely in Advanced than do average in Standard.

And you do alot of the same things anyway.

dolbinau

HSC
A lot of people at my school dropped from maths 2u to general and got the same marks!

I know it's not English but be careful of dropping because 50% in Standard would KILL your UAI (not that 50% in Advanced would be helpful either :p)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
My english co-ordinator said their is no scaling diference between adv and standard.

its better to be ranked higher in std then be avg in adv.

jellybelly59

HSC
Shoom said:
My english co-ordinator said their is no scaling diference between adv and standard.

its better to be ranked higher in std then be avg in adv.
yeah i heard the scaling difference between adv and standard is negligible but it's rather what they teach you in advanced incomparison to standard that makes the difference.

dolbinau

HSC
My point was make sure you'll be able to actually improve :).

But the difference between Standard/Advanced is it appears it's easier to go well in Advanced, only 0.02% of people got a Band 6 in Standard in 2006, only like 2-3% (that's two to three) a Band 5. Compared to 6% and 37% for Advanced respectively IIRC. I don't believe that only 0.02% of students who do Standard were capable enough to get a band 6, there is something else going on here :p.

Last edited:

belle299

HSC
Hey,
I'm thinking of doing a B of sci too, there's one at la trobe for a uai 0f 61 I think and guaranteed entry is 65 so whichever you chose, do the one you'll feel the most comfortable with and enjoy, the main diff between the two courses is the degree of difficulty

Twickel

HSC
My english co-ordinator said plenty of standard epole got band 5s, but I just hope I cant get a UAI of atleast 61.

My subjects are
Pghysics
Chem
Bio
Math
Std Eng
SOR1

School rank 236.

Robin Hood

HSC
I'm almost certain that standard and advanced english do NOT get scaled differently, so don't stay in advanced thinking that if you do avg in it, it would be better than doing standard.
There are students out there in standard that actually try and work hard and get bands 5 and 6 but unfortunately alot of people that do standard aren't as motivated. There was a girl in my school from last year that got a band 6 in standard english and came like 2nd in the state.
If you gave it your all and got the mark you received then move across to standard. If you didn't and KNOW that you can do better, then it's up to you if you want to stay in adv or not.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
With Standard, it is really hard to get the highest marks. Even if you are like, top 0.4% of the state, your scaled mark is only like 94.

Twickel

HSC
APLUS, I thought their was no scaling difference between adv and std so why do you say that?

Twickel

HSC
I just want to clarify the scaling difference, but I think I will drop to standard it wont effect my UAI to much will it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)