HELP: strategies needed to catch up 1 year's work!! (1 Viewer)

hkgirl

HSC
hi everyone

my friend, who dropped out of school in 2003 (year 11) had decided to pick back up his education this year. He is currently enrolled as year 12 (class of 2007) but he just have ever so much to catch up!!

he doesn't remembers anything from year 11, and now that year 12 term1 have begun, i don't know how to help him to catch up all the work. he is a smart bloke & all, but the content is just so heavy!

any tips on how i can prepare my friend for Term 2 year12 Half yearlies? (which is in 14-15weeks or so).

he is doing
standard english
maths 2unit
modern history
biology
visual arts.

HELP!! please!!!

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Heyy :)

I was in *sort of* a similar position to your friend last year, not really but it had been a year since I'd done the Yr 11 work for my subjects and I'd missed a lot that year.

Firstly, he shouldn't worry too much about catching up for subjects like English, bio, art and history (not 100% sure about history & art as I never did them) as you don't need to know the Yr 11 work to be able to complete the Yr 12 work. The syllabus' are completely different so really it's just pointless and a waste of time.

He should just make sure that he remembers the basics though, like how to structure an English essay and how to analyse a text (eg; all the language techniques etc). That way as long as he learns the Year 12 texts he'll be fine when it comes to half yearlies, same with his other subjects. Make sure that he has access to the preliminary text books as well so that if during the year he comes accross something that he doesn't quite understand he can go back and check it out.

With maths it is very important he catches up on the Preliminary work because you need it to understand the Year 12 work and it can also be included in the half yearlies and trial/HSC exams at the end of the year. I found the easiest way to do it was to just work my way through the Prelim text book, doing an exercise or maybe 2 a day - the summer holidays are a really good chance for him to catch up, he could probably work his way through the entire prelim course. So make sure he doesn't waste it!!

I'd suggest he gets those Preliminary excel text books, they summarise the work really well. Another good text book that was a life saver for me was the Accelerated Maths Learning 2Unit Advanced "Understanding Year 11 maths". They're a really great reference for anything he doesn't understand throughout the course of year 12 so he can refresh his memory.

Teachers can be a great help to, if you ask :p

Hope he goes well!

vizman

HSC
like sprinkles said its only maths that is of major consideration, considering the hsc can be based up to 30% of preliminary material. however, the other subjects test only on year 12 content.

P

pLuvia

Maths - Keep doing a variety of questions, try to get a lot of past papers to do throughout the year and just practice

Biology - Stick by the syllabus dot points, a good way of learning everything

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
When you get back to school see if there are any teachers willing to help him catch up eg special provisions, lunch classes or spending 5 mins at the beginning/end of class making sure he understood his homework and today's work. Or ask ex HSC students/tutors who would be wiiling to tutor him if he needs. Or major study sessions.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
For biology see if he can get a hold of K.I.S.S (keep it simple science) booklets for the prelim and HSC course. It will get him on track pretty soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)