HELP: Stuffing up in half yearlies (1 Viewer)

valenheart

HSC
N/A
So my school recently completed half yearlies, and although I did get ranked relatively well in my subjects, my marks were not as good. My biggest concern is physics and maths extension 1. For physics I ranked fourth, however the difference between my mark and the top mark was just over 10% (although this only weighed 10%). Similarly in math extension, I also ranked fourth but the difference between my mark and third place was around 15%, and this weighed 30%. How much do you guys think this will affect my atar? My reason for concern is that I know that having a good rank is important, but also the spread between the marks is important too. And because the difference between my mark and those ranking above me is quite substantial, i'm wondering how that will affect my atar. So far, i'm doing quite well in all my subjects and ranking in the top 5 for all my subjects in a school that is ranked within the 270s-280s. I'd like to achieve an atar in the 90's, but I am doubting myself because of my poor performance in the half yearlies.

Your advice/input will be much appreciated :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To be honest, I would not waste time being overly concerned about hypothetical question on how much it affects your ATAR, because that in turn depends on another hypothetical question-which is how you will perform for the rest of the year, I will give you a simple piece of advice-put your head down and study hard to get better marks and better ranks-most effective way to achieve your goal.

Best wishes for realising your aspirations :)

Jakulore

HSC
Well, of course you could always stand to try to improve your marks and rankings to try to get the best ATAR possible. However, as long as you do this it likely won't have a huge impact, especially in Physics since that technically would mean that in terms of assessment marks/percentage you are only 1 mark behind first place if it was only worth 10% of your assessment.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)