Help!!! Subject choices!! Too Many UNITS!!! (1 Viewer)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
I'd drop History Extension, since you're already doing English and Maths extensions and I hear History is a hell of a lot of work for a 1unit course, and I'd drop Chemistry too. It's better to come first in a "low scaling" subject like PDHPE than it is to be below-average in a heavier subject like Chemistry. Plus, think of all that money you'll be saving because you won't need tutoring.

Last edited:

The-Noodle

HSC
LottoX said:
I did 5 extension subjects, and it didn't really torch me. I didn't even study that hard for it either.
Whoa! That's crazy. I do 2 extensions and that's enough for me. i wouldn't be able to handle any more.

HSC
After completing the HSC, I think the best piece of advice I could give you is to work out what your strengths are and stick with them. Try to keep the subjects you most enjoy and come most 'naturally' to you as they are the one's you'll most likely excel in.

From what I see you have alot of humanities units, so it's probably good to keep at least 1 maths/science subject or the work will weigh you down. From past experience history extension is ALOT of work; especially the reading so if your workload is getting too much maybe you should consider that because it does take alot off your shoulders.

I agree with what others have said about scaling. Don't keep a subject purely because it's 'high scaling' - this can be dangerous as these subjects scale exponentially if you do really well (>90), but they also scale dramatically low if you score below average. If you're going really well in a low scaling subject, I say keep it. It could be the subject that pulls you UAI up alot in the end. For example, I managed to do really well in a low scaling subject (ancient history) and that pulled my UAI up heaps.

P

pLuvia

I did 3 extensions, practically gave up on the last extension but funnily enough it counted towards my UAI :p

ditdotdat

HSC
heyo yinks!

wat to drop? try to forget about the pressure that comes with hsc.. and think abot which subject you like the least.. cos chances are youd do better in the subjects you enjoy rather than the ones youre doing for the sake of scaling.

ive got 14 units. but finished eco last year. so im currently doing eng4, maths3, ancient, hist xtn and legal. and i dunno which ones im going to drop. or whether im going to drop at all.

kinda hesitant to start either one of the major works.. cos if i end up not liking the subject later on.. then all the hard work for nothing.

i recon.. keep the subjects you have and do the first couple of weeks of the new year.. and then see which one brings about the most trouble for you. but if your spending so much on tutoring for chem.. then maybe not drop it?

HSC
ditdotdat - I suggest you at least do some research for your all your major works if you're not sure what to keep. Having said that though, a friend of mine did about 80% of her EE2 MW in the last week and managed to get a 46.

It's also worth it to stick with history extension until you're sure you want to drop - that's what I did and I found the material that we covered in class was a great help for my 2 unit history courses.

yinks

HSC
yeah, i think im going to drop both extension 1 history and extension 2 english.

which is a shame, cos i love creative writing, but, well, its HSC. and its pretty subjective.

and im doing exactly average at chemistry, so i think it should be okay.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
yinks said:
yeah, i think im going to drop both extension 1 history and extension 2 english.

which is a shame, cos i love creative writing, but, well, its HSC. and its pretty subjective.

and im doing exactly average at chemistry, so i think it should be okay.
You don't have to drop them all at once, you could drop one, hold off for a while and see if you want to drop another subject. You seem to have more passion for writing than chem. If you really love writing don't let the subjectiveness of it get in the way.

jdcb4

HSC
Finally, people who had too many units! Everyone at school seemed to have to few and I had 16 in Prelim, wanted to pick up 3 more for HSC

Had
Ext Eng Ext Math Modern Ancient
Chem Legal SoR II

Wanted to pick up
Ext Hist, Ext II Eng, Ext II Maths
Everyone thought I was weird... Dunno why!
Ended up with 12
4 Math, Modern
Legal, SoR, English Adv
Decided Ext Eng too subjective, same with Ext Hist
Got bored with chem and dropped Ancient 'cause it was my lowest contributor (Annoying as I was coming 2nd)
If I made the decision again I would've kept a science

Basically just stick with what you enjoy, unless you definitely can't get as good marks in it as in something else. If in doubt I suggest picking the less subjective sujects!

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
jdcb4 said:
Finally, people who had too many units! Everyone at school seemed to have to few and I had 16 in Prelim, wanted to pick up 3 more for HSC

Had
Ext Eng Ext Math Modern Ancient
Chem Legal SoR II

Wanted to pick up
Ext Hist, Ext II Eng, Ext II Maths
Everyone thought I was weird... Dunno why!
You sure you don't know? :p

jdcb4

HSC
I'm thinking, umm... Yes, wait, nope... its gone. No idea.

Sweet Saz

HSC
Hey yinks. Have you dropped anything yet? I've finally decided to drop Art and Eng Ext 2. Art was just too stressful. The teacher and I kept clashing artistically, and because I had no direction. I dropped Ext 2 because I racked my brains and could not think of a concept or idea and looking back on the term of work I did do I didn't think I could keep it up for the whole year. I think it just takes a lot of time of comtemplating what you want. It took me the whole christmas break! Its a shame to waste all the work you've put in to drop a subject but your sanity is more important ;)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
^^ Yes I agree, sanity is important :)

But it worked the opposite for me, ie I had too many units but because I had done the work I was like 'well if I've done it I might as well keep going' instead of having my efforts wasted and before long it was the end of the year and I did it all... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)