Help..subject dilemma :( (1 Viewer)

kbsb

HSC
Ok..so heres the deal..this yr i accelerated HSC Geo and 2U mathematics and got 97 and 98 (respectively) in them..As a result i was accepted into the Philospohy Distinction course. SO heres heres the problems

ATM i do 4U Maths, 2U english (adv), 2U Chem, 2U VA, 2U Philosophy...so a total of 14U (if u include geography)

Problem is what to drop...

• i could drop all maths and do 2U eng, 2U chem, 2U VA, 2U Philo + 2U math and 2U geog (from this year) with a total of 12U
  • I could keep everything as it is but not choose philosphy (but i really wanna do it :(
  • I could pick 3Maths, 2 eng, 2 chem, 2 va and 2geo (so all up 11U)

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Why not drop VA and keep the rest?

It won't really help at all if you want to do med because of the shat scaling, unless you're super good at it. Are you?

Tofuu

HSC
out of those, maybe drop 2U VA
dont drop 4U as it will help you greatly in your ATAR
Chem doesn't seem to be an option to drop

kbsb

HSC
the thing is that to do a distinction course..u need to have at least 10Units exclusing the distinction course...

about VA--i dont mind droping it...its just that i do well in the tests and im alrite at prac :)

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Like everyone else, I'd say drop VA. Even though you do well in it, it probably won't amount to as much as doing well in your other subjects because of the scaling. Or...you could try doing 14 units...though, having done it for a year, I have to say, it's pretty bad. Unless you're super-good at time management, you'll probably end up neglecting one or more subjects. So I guess dropping VA would be the best way to go. Btw, congrats on the awesome marks for geo & maths!

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
the thing is that to do a distinction course..u need to have at least 10Units exclusing the distinction course...

about VA--i dont mind droping it...its just that i do well in the tests and im alrite at prac :)
You need to pretty be excellent at both tests and pracs to get a good mark for VA and hence a good scaled mark.

I strongly suggest that you drop it.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Wait, you accelerated 4 units this year, so if you did all those courses you listed next year you'd be doing 10 units right?

HSC
Philosophy hasn't started yet (I think) so wait until it starts to see if you enjoy it or not then consider dropping.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Im not trying to brag or anything..its just that i usually get 98% + in half yearlies/yearlies and usually 45+/50 for practicals (for VA)...i rekon if i did it i could get a good mark....but some people are saying like its capped and u cant get more than a certain mark ...is ths true ???
It is capped. You can still get 100 for VA, but you can't get 100 for a scaled mark.

Those marks sound good, but i still recommend not doing it because of the crap scaling. If you were aiming to do something other than med/law i would've told you go ahead and keep it seeing as you like it so much :p

Another option is to wait to see if you can handle a 14 unit workload :)

wendybird

HSC
Why not drop VA and keep the rest?

It won't really help at all if you want to do med because of the shat scaling, unless you're super good at it. Are you?
Excellent advice Anna, exactly what I was thinking as well.

You realise that its 10 Units INCLUDING your accelerated units right?

You've already got 4 units out of the way, 2 if you're doing 4U maths. You only need at most 8 units of non-Philosophy subjects.

Just a note, my friend got 100% internally in art, and got in the high 90s for it internally - it didn't even count towards her atar. Her not-quite-so-great 2U maths mark counted instead. Art scaling is indeed balls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)