HELP!! Technetium-99m equation (1 Viewer)

MissGeorgie

hi,
i have a physics assignment about radio isotopes, and i was wondering if anyone has any information about the use of technetium-99m for medical diagnosis or knows where i could find some.

i can tfind the balanced nuclear equation for the essential transmutations that occur to produce it.

any info at all would be greately appreciated

:) thanks

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Technetium-99m is made in one of two ways:

1. Fission of uranium-235 (usually in the form of UO<sub>2</sub> pellets) produces a wide variety of fission products, including molybdenum-99. This isotope is extracted by chromatography from the product mixture and then allowed to decay, which produces technetium-99m

2. A molybdenum-98 target is introduced into the core of a nuclear reactor, where it undergoes neutron capture to produce the desired molybdenum-99.

The relevant equations are:

<sup>98</sup>Mo + <sup>1</sup>n ---> <sup>99</sup>Mo

<sup>99</sup>Mo ---beta decay---> <sup>99m</sup>Tc + <sub>-1</sub>e

<sup>99m</sup>Tc ---gamma decay---> <sup>99</sup>Tc + gamma

The half-lives are:

Mo-99 - about 66 hours
Tc-99m - about 6 hours
Tc-99 - about 200000 years

You should be able to find an enormous amount of stuff on the 'net on its medical applications - start by looking for a Brookhaven Tc-99m generator.

Notes: 1. Make sure you include the m where it is needed - Tc-99m and Tc-99 are NOT the same thing.
2. The 'm' italicised when typed - ie m not m.
3. Tc-99m is the most widely used radioisotope in nuclear medicine - it has been estimated to be involved in something like 70 % of all procedures that use a radiopharmaceutical.
4. It is made in Australia at the Lucas Heights reactor, so the ANSTO website has probably got a lot of information.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Tc 99 m can also be made from linear accelarators i believe i have read... this is one of the major arguement put forward by anti-nuclear groups, saying it is much safer to use linear accelerators to produce desired radio isotopes needed by medical society...

but apparently, the Tc 99m produced this way is much more inefficient as fewer in quantity to be recognised as a source of obtainining it...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by xiao1985
Tc 99 m can also be made from linear accelarators i believe i have read... this is one of the major arguement put forward by anti-nuclear groups, saying it is much safer to use linear accelerators to produce desired radio isotopes needed by medical society...

but apparently, the Tc 99m produced this way is much more inefficient as fewer in quantity to be recognised as a source of obtainining it...
Yeah Technetium-99m can be made in accelerators, however it has a short half-life of 6 hrs which means it needs to be made pretty much on site, where as Mo-99 has a much longer half life and can hence be transported around the country.

CoNFuSeD

um i think miss georgie should quit her whinging....i mean really can't find it?? how hard are you looking??

BRILLIANT!!

love ya darlin xoxo

MissGeorgie

some people these days are so rude!!!!!!!!!

just like pinde slom!
:p
well if you're so confused, u can do the assignment yourself!!!

:D xxxxxxx

CoNFuSeD

um no why do that when you have friends (even dumb ones) to bludge off...mustard slut *cough*

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)