HELP!!! UWS physio / USYD physio (1 Viewer)

howandwhen

HSC
Does anyone thinking about doing physio at UWS if they cant get enough mark of USYD? Im soo frustrated about what options i have, like there is no way that i will get ATAR of 99 or something to get into USYD and ive been viewing posts here and did some research about the BHS and the GEM offered in usyd, the only thing is that me and my family simply cannot afford 50K for 2 years the master degree even i have guaranteed a place to that, and theres only few spots for CSP and its extremely competitive.

UWS has its 4 years degree ( Bachelor of Health Science/ Master of Physiotherapy), which is one 1 year less than usyd and i bet its cutoff would be lower than usyd as well, plus the bonus points stuff so it seems very attractive. My concern is that would that one year of master still costs heaps? and does it matter if you do physio in uws instead of usyd?
Since they pretty much the same if you do BHS in usyd (3years) + Master of physio (2years) = 5 years
Whereas in uws BHS (3years which include some physio stuff) + master of physio (1year) = 4 years

USYD has a good reputation and all that and UWS isnt very hmm i dont know :(

can anyone give me some suggestion and ideas? thanks alot!!!!

witide

HSC
Do you have to do physiotherapy? What about something like Exercise Physiology at UNSW? The cutoff is only around 83/84, 4 years long and it's linked with the faculty of medicine and medical science.

howandwhen

HSC
i dont know :(( not really into medicine and stuff :p and im really really dont know what to do:cold:

dolbinau

HSC
How close is UWS?

Though it is concerning that you aren't really 'into medicine' and want to do Physiotherapy. You will definitely be doing Anatomy and Physiology, and will be 'diagnosing'/ treating patients etc..

howandwhen

HSC
UWS is in campbelltown campus and USYD is in cumberland campus which is in lidcome.

hmm that is true, but since medicine is way more difficult and lots of study, 7 years something? =/

HSC
N/A
Does anyone thinking about doing physio at UWS if they cant get enough mark of USYD? Im soo frustrated about what options i have, like there is no way that i will get ATAR of 99 or something to get into USYD and ive been viewing posts here and did some research about the BHS and the GEM offered in usyd, the only thing is that me and my family simply cannot afford 50K for 2 years the master degree even i have guaranteed a place to that, and theres only few spots for CSP and its extremely competitive.

UWS has its 4 years degree ( Bachelor of Health Science/ Master of Physiotherapy), which is one 1 year less than usyd and i bet its cutoff would be lower than usyd as well, plus the bonus points stuff so it seems very attractive. My concern is that would that one year of master still costs heaps? and does it matter if you do physio in uws instead of usyd?
Since they pretty much the same if you do BHS in usyd (3years) + Master of physio (2years) = 5 years
Whereas in uws BHS (3years which include some physio stuff) + master of physio (1year) = 4 years

USYD has a good reputation and all that and UWS isnt very hmm i dont know :(

can anyone give me some suggestion and ideas? thanks alot!!!!
Firstly, Usyd's cuttoff is not in the 99s, last year 96.75. That should drop with UWS's program. Uws should be around the 94-95 range.

Also you don't have to pay upfront 50k when you do masters, you get hecs help loans which max out at 80k and you start paying that of similiar to a csp place after u start earning money. Its just that you have higher debt.

Last time I checked the UWS physio course is 5 years. Check it though im not 100%. Also the bonus points might not apply for physio. It certainly doesnt apply for med.

It probably wont matter where you go in terms of jobs. Your given one year contract kind of like a internship for med with rotations and if they want you its extended.

Credit average for GEM is very difficult to maintain, first year subjects alone are insanely difficult.

Also think again about whether physio is right for you, if your not into blood and gore, first year will be tough, exams and lessons will involve bodies. Then when you work in hospitals it might involve ICU type work with patients that are very ill.

howandwhen

HSC
Firstly, Usyd's cuttoff is not in the 99s, last year 96.75. That should drop with UWS's program. Uws should be around the 94-95 range.

Also you don't have to pay upfront 50k when you do masters, you get hecs help loans which max out at 80k and you start paying that of similiar to a csp place after u start earning money. Its just that you have higher debt.

Last time I checked the UWS physio course is 5 years. Check it though im not 100%. Also the bonus points might not apply for physio. It certainly doesnt apply for med.

It probably wont matter where you go in terms of jobs. Your given one year contract kind of like a internship for med with rotations and if they want you its extended.

Credit average for GEM is very difficult to maintain, first year subjects alone are insanely difficult.

Also think again about whether physio is right for you, if your not into blood and gore, first year will be tough, exams and lessons will involve bodies. Then when you work in hospitals it might involve ICU type work with patients that are very ill.
Wow thank you mr, that is really helpful!! since the major problem is the money stuff and i didnt know that you can still apply hecs help loans for master!! that is really awesome! yea my friend told me it since UWS has medicine so it wouldnt be that bad considering on health science, i think she is right.. but then USYD has high reputation and all that :) i dont think i will do the BHS and then with GEM scheme @ usyd, simply because there are too many people doing it and also i dont think i can maintain credit average for GEM haha :)

Ive check on UWS website they still doesnt have much info on physio, they havent even put up what they will teach in year 3 and 4, and the accreditation is still being sought.. :S But im pretty sure it is 4 years degree which involves 3 year bachelor of health science with 1 year master of physio where during that 3 years they already begin to have some component on physio.

Anyway , thank you again :), i see you doing physio in usyd , can you give me a little more info about the job prospect? hmm like the salary for fresh grad and will it be easy to find a job both in aus and overseas eg UK? on info day at USYD the lady said student who try REALLY HARD will find jobs within SIX months, that seems a bit bad ? and also you said that you would be given one year contract intern, hmm does it only applies to usyd ? thank youuuu for answering me this ure a life saver!!!!

juggernaut

HSC
its totally not that hard to maintain a credit average, especially in health science.
First year subjects "insanely difficult"? Comon lets be real, functional muskoskeletal anatomy a and b and neuro are HUGE work loads yes, but the rest of the subjects are quiet simple.

tbh i wouldnt want to be a apart of this dodgy 4 year run program at uws, being run for the very first time and pretty much being the guinea pigs

imo aim for physio at usyd - if you dont get it, do exss and get a distinction average first year then straight transfer to undergrad physio (CSP). if that fails, last resort stick to exss and aim to get ~top 10 for a csp masters spot. its not that hard to get top 10 in exss if you put a big of work in, youll be surprised how little the people in exss actually do try. its not a massive nerdy bunch like main campus degrees

A Stone Monkey

HSC
N/A
Physiotherapy is really, really good; Exercise Physiology sucks.

What's most important about uni is that you make the most of your time - whether that be getting smashed (not good IMO), studying for the grades you need (to maintain the scholarship you may or may not have, will have).
So, if you don't mind about the uni, but you're dead-set on physiotherapy, then consider UWS.
If you do not get into USyd, which has higher requirements, I believe, and you're dead-set on it, and it alone, then I guess you can try again, if at is at the Masters degree level.
howandwhen said:
my friend told me it since UWS has medicine so it wouldnt be that bad considering on health science, i think she is right.. but then USYD has high reputation and all that i dont think i will do the BHS and then with GEM scheme @ usyd, simply because there are too many people doing it and also i dont think i can maintain credit average for GEM haha
Please, type as though you would write an academic text.

The University of Sydney has a medical school, called the Sydney Medical School.
can you give me a little more info about the job prospect? hmm like the salary for fresh grad and will it be easy to find a job both in aus and overseas eg UK? on info day at USYD the lady said student who try REALLY HARD will find jobs within SIX months, that seems a bit bad ? and also you said that you would be given one year contract intern, hmm does it only applies to usyd ? thank youuuu for answering me this ure a life saver!!!!
Apparently, getting a job in physiotherapy is easy as.

Once you're in private practice in your middle years, you should be rolling in the dough.

HSC
N/A
Wow thank you mr, that is really helpful!! since the major problem is the money stuff and i didnt know that you can still apply hecs help loans for master!! that is really awesome! yea my friend told me it since UWS has medicine so it wouldnt be that bad considering on health science, i think she is right.. but then USYD has high reputation and all that :) i dont think i will do the BHS and then with GEM scheme @ usyd, simply because there are too many people doing it and also i dont think i can maintain credit average for GEM haha :)

Ive check on UWS website they still doesnt have much info on physio, they havent even put up what they will teach in year 3 and 4, and the accreditation is still being sought.. :S But im pretty sure it is 4 years degree which involves 3 year bachelor of health science with 1 year master of physio where during that 3 years they already begin to have some component on physio.

Anyway , thank you again :), i see you doing physio in usyd , can you give me a little more info about the job prospect? hmm like the salary for fresh grad and will it be easy to find a job both in aus and overseas eg UK? on info day at USYD the lady said student who try REALLY HARD will find jobs within SIX months, that seems a bit bad ? and also you said that you would be given one year contract intern, hmm does it only applies to usyd ? thank youuuu for answering me this ure a life saver!!!!
TBH reputation isn't a very big deal in the health profession. In hospitals you have plenty of doctors, physios nurses etc from third world less reputable universities that are great practitioners and highly respecter for their skills. UWS's poor reputation is only an issue for law, commerce etc med and physio should be fine.

Don't worry too much about acreditation, i think there was a thread here about Newcastle uni's physio course not being accredited and its not a big issue, eventually by the time you graduate it will be accredited. It takes a number of years for it to become accredited as there are stages in the process.

Job prospects are pretty decent. There isn't the competition for grad places in courses like commerce, law, pharmacy in physio. So far, don't know if this will continue, but everyone gets a 1 year contract in a hospital through a preference system. After this year, the hospital may or may not continue it, but most do. Some will leave and work in private practices or some more brave ones will open a clinic up. So i don't know what the lady was going on about. It should apply to UWS to but probably for hospitals in western suburbs.

Australian physio courses are considered to be superior to that of UK. NZ, Indian and South African degrees. Not sure about the US DPT degrees though. So you'll do well to get jobs overseas. Please note that the situation in the UK is fairly screwed. The NHS there is fucked, there arn't enough graduate places for physios so many new grads are unemployed. However, plenty of experienced aussie physios go there to work later.

Grad salary's for 2010 is supposed to be 60K. Private practice salaries when working for someone else is supposed to be 70-85k range. If you open up a practice its supposed to be 115k average check my thread on stats.

Juggernaut: i struggled at FMA and FMB lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)