HELP: What subjcts to choose (for an Accounting Cadet) (1 Viewer)

jared_88

HSC
Hi ppl I know I've sought of asked this before but I really need help deciding what subjects to choose first and second semester given that I am an accounting cadet.

*22107 Accounting for Business
*25115 Economics for Business
*21129 Managing People and Organisations
*24108 Marketing Foundations

Which two should I choose

For fist semester I'm pretty much tossing up between these three combinations (then obviously do the remaining subjects in second semester):

This I think is what cadets I've heard have sometimes done:

This I think is the UTS recommended sequence of study for part-time students:

This could also be an interesting combination (and a little bit easier for me seeing as I did HSC Economics, and will be working as a caget in Accounting):

So I'm asking for your help people... PLEASE (O btw sorry I know I left this a bit late seeing as enrollment is tomorrow (Monday 05-02-2007))

matty fwd

HSC
Im in the same boat....so if anyone has any advice please post. Also when we enrol, do we get to choose which lectures and tutorials we want to attend? Or are they allocated in some way?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I would definately do 22107 Accounting for Business in Autumn semester, just to make sure you actually like accounting! It also leaves open the option for you to do 22207 Accounting Transactions and Business Decisions as well in Spring semester before you do your other core subjects and get a bit ahead in Accounting studies. If you have done economics for the HSC, then do 25115 Economics for Business as you won't find it too hard, and again opens you up with the option of doing 25300 Fundamentals of Business Finance earlier as well. In other words, you will have to do 22107 and 25115 earlier on anyways as they are prerequisite subjects for other core subjects and you may as well do them in Autumn to get it over and done with.

You get to select preferences for lectures and tutorials and then they are allocated. You then have a certain period where you can swap classes online as long as there are spaces (say if you didn't get your first preference). With lectures, you can usually go to anyone of them, as long as there isn't anything specific happening in that lecture (such as an exam).

matty fwd

HSC
thanks heaps jasee.
one more question - I might to 21129 MPO over 25115 Economics for Business simply because 1 hour lectures for MPO make it a slightly easier workload to begin with. Is this a good idea??

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
1 hour lecture doesn't necessarily mean less workload...it just means shorter classes. I think both subjects have equal workloads. They are both kind of dry subjects (well depends where your interests lie), though I actually did better in Economics for some odd reason.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
jasee said:
1 hour lecture doesn't necessarily mean less workload...it just means shorter classes. I think both subjects have equal workloads. They are both kind of dry subjects (well depends where your interests lie), though I actually did better in Economics for some odd reason.
Now that Economics for Business requires you do a MyAtlas quiz (weekly online quiz which determines if you are in an application class or a theory class), I think it now requires more work.

I'd do Accounting and MPO together and Economics and Marketing together.

jared_88

HSC
Hey ppl I just thought I would share wat I chose:

Autumn:
*Accounting for Business
*Economics for Business

Spring:
*Managing People and Organisations
*Marketing Foundations

What did everyone else choose?

O and by the way thanks for the help ppl (especially jasee), it was much appreciated!

Last edited:

shonkay

HSC
I chose Accounting for Business and Managing People and Organisations for the first sem, and then Economics for Business and Marketing Foundations for the second sem. Most cadets at the firm I'm at are doing it according to the UTS recommendation thingy book so yeah.

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
jared_88 said:
Hey ppl I just thought I would share wat I chose:

Autumn:
*Accounting for Business
*Economics for Business

Spring:
*Managing People and Organisations
*Marketing Foundations

What did everyone else choose?

O and by the way thanks for the help ppl (especially jasee), it was much appreciated!
Your spring semester is going to be so easy mate
MPO and Marketing are the easiest business subjects! :p

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
^^Logical solution to that is do accounting and economics in different semesters.

jared_88

HSC
I thought the opposite (that autumn will be easier) since I will be working in accounting (and did economics in Year 12)

roadcone

HSC
yeah in my opinion all first year subjects are pretty bludgy...

don't be too cocky about the oh i work in accounting thing though, because depending on what area you are in you won't even touch the accounting stuff - and apart from that even if you do you will be doing all your journals and financials and things like that with the aid of a computer programme - i.e. you will need to remember alot more for accy1. being a cadet will help a lot though, don't get me wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)