help windows media player 11 beta (1 Viewer)

HSC
i downloaded windows media player 11 beta.

but it says on it "this version of windows media player can only be installed on a computer that is running windows xp service pack 2.

i downloaded Service pack 2 but my comp f##ked up and i had to reboot and redownload service pack and i exit my firefox while i was downloading it, probably stopped the process and i tried to redownload it

i then get a error like this below:

Review Your Installation Results

The software upgrade is complete
You can now use the website to find and install the latest updates for your computer.

Continue

More high-priority updates are available
Your computer might be at risk until you install them. Check for the remaining updates and install them now.

Restart now to finish installing updates
Your computer will not be up to date until you restart it. Please save any open files, photos or documents and restart now.

Installation Summary

Successful:
Update for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 (KB842773)
Failed:
Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

Remaining:

Successful Updates

Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

• Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1
  • Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

and i went to this page, below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

i tried to uninstall Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 but it says something else is using it as well or something updating etc and i had to exit to application but i dont know the hell what im using when i exit all applications.

and in here

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en

it shows what installed my comp or not, so everytime i wanna install service pack 2, it wont let me, and when i tried to uninstal tha 3.1 it also wont let me, so anyone can help me, thanks.

Last edited:
HSC
HSC

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Do you really need WMP11? I mean its not much different from WMP10.

HSC
politik said:
That's the full installation of SP2. The Microsoft/Windows Update version is a tailored pack, which doesn't include all features.
i download it but i kept getting stupid errors :confused:

Collin

HSC
N/A
u have a virus lol reformat ur hard disk. ^_^

HSC
Collin said:
u have a virus lol reformat ur hard disk. ^_^
lol nah my comp doesnt have any virus, did a check up before, its fine, just my comp is being stupid. or should i say windows, it recieves updates etc but it wont install SP2, must be something with the download link.

JimmyK

Narrabeen, Sydney/Maitland, Hunter Valley
HSC
yea, thats why you use a DECENT, multi protocol client like Adium, or for you extreme open source people, aMSN.
Macs are very well priced considering all the decent software you get with them that you don't get with a PC, and the hardware is good.
I must say, my brushed aluminium G4 PowerBook how ever, in no way makes me look gay. Just like my U2 iPod doesn't make me look gay.

Anyway, SP2 is usually best installed on a clean install base of Windows XP SP1 with no connection to the internet at time of install. Installing SP2 on top of a non-clean install will probably cause stability issues with existing software.
I've always installed SP2 on a clean install of Windows, but then again I've got ghost images of installs so I can optimise my system every few months or too, no neeed to reinstall - just boot disk it, and back to a fresh, fast install of XP SP2.

HSC
somehow when i wanted to download windows defender it says i need a damn service pack, i dont know why my comp rejects it or windows rejects it too but any help thanks, it prob wont let me dl anything off windows website :mad1:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
hey.. i just did a search for "windows defender" and it got me here.

Anyways i was actually updating my Microsoft AntiSpyware when it turns out it was downloading this new Windows Defender (beta 2).

I'm just wondering if anyone else who previously used MS Antispyware got this new program as an update?

The interface is much simpler, there are buttons rather than links to do a scan or view scan history. Though i don't really care much but I notice that this program actually shows the windows logo, which was non-existant in the old "antispyware".

robo-andie

HSC
I did AntiHyper.
I agree, Defender is a lot more friendly. Antispyware stuffed on me countless times. This one seems to be better behaved.

Collin

HSC
N/A
CSI: CRIMES ™ said:
somehow when i wanted to download windows defender it says i need a damn service pack, i dont know why my comp rejects it or windows rejects it too but any help thanks, it prob wont let me dl anything off windows website :mad1:
They're referring to Service Pack 2, and you should have that anyway. You should be updating your Windows regularly; XP isn't the most secure of operating systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)