help with a past trial question (1 Viewer)

iheartgeorge

HSC
can anybody explain how to do this question please. it's from a past paper that i dont have the answers for

(a) (i) Prove that the line with equation y = px + (1 - 2p^2) is a tangent to the parabola x^2 = 8 (y-1) for all values of p

(ii) Find the angle between the tangents drawn to x^2=8(y-1) from the point (0,-7)

Horseypie

HSC
a) i) from x^2 = 8(y-1) make y the subject then solve both equations simultaneously...you should get one value for x which means its a tangent

ii) find the equations of the tangents using normal calculus and then use the angle between two lines formula

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Horseypie said:
a) i) from x^2 = 8(y-1) make y the subject then solve both equations simultaneously...you should get one value for x which means its a tangent

ii) find the equations of the tangents using normal calculus and then use the angle between two lines formula
If you mean tan θ = |m1-m2/1+m1m2| for ii) I wouldn't think of using it in 2U

luthrax

HSC
for part ii, as the point is vertically below the vertex of the parabola, the angle that forms between the tangents is twice the angle of the gradient of one of the tangents, draw a rough sketch u'll get wat im saying, since tan x=m, 2x gives u the angle between the two tangents.
you find the tangents by subbing (0, -7) into y=px+ (1 +2p^2)

Last edited:

Horseypie

HSC
Forbidden. said:
If you mean tan θ = |m1-m2/1+m1m2| for ii) I wouldn't think of using it in 2U
Oh is that 3 unit?...sorry, i didnt think about that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)