Help with a Question Term 1 year 11 !!! (1 Viewer)

Michaelbouts

HSC
A bus is slowly traveling along a straight stretch of Anzac parade. It then turns right into Maroubra road, without slowing down. Has the bus undergone acceleration? justify your answer.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Is this discounting any existing friction on the road and air resistance?

If it turns right at a road, without slowing down, it has gone acceleration. This is because when vehicles make turns, they need to apply a centripetal force, which causes the car to decelerate because their energy is applied to the turn and moving forward. The turn essentially slows the car down. However, if the bus/car/vehicle continues to move at the same velocity whilst making a turn, it needs to apply more speed (i.e. accelerate) to continue moving at its original speed AND complete the turn.

I hope that makes sense, I haven't touched prelim physics for almost half a year, but I'm quite confident the car does undergo acceleration of some sort to complete the turn and maintain its original velocity :)

Michaelbouts

HSC
The question just come the way it is hahaha, but i kinda get it but we havent really touched on centripetal force yet but ill try to understand it
thanks.

photastic

HSC
Acceleration is Δv/Δt. Since Velocity is a vector quantity, since you turned right, this is a change in direction, therefore a change in velocity. Hence, the bus underwent acceleration. Ceeeeeeeebs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)