help with a question (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
this is the hsc 2001 crime paper and i can do most if it except i just cant seem to do question d

'...explain how the law addresses issues concerning the rights of the victims, rights of the accused and the rights of the community in relation to crime.'

now my teacher thought i was a retard when i said i just couldnt do it and the only thing she said was that i have to talk about the criminal process. but for 9 marks, i so would NOT have enough to talk about here!

any ideas of what i can discuss ie what topics and what areas of criminal law can be addressed in this question. if i got this is in my hsc i'd just not be able to do it- and that's a scary thought.

manifestation

What?!
HSC
You also have to talk about how the law upholds rights of the accussed, the victim and the community/society and how it tries to balance them out. You can use current cases or media studies such as the recent speed chases cases and how they weren't effective and police were not upholding the right of the community and individuals because they were chasing ppl who were speeding but lives were being lost at the same time so therefore the rights of society and individuals such as the victims who died, and the right to feel protected was being violated and not being upheld and practiced.
- you can talk about rights of accussed:
- right to silence
- right to a fair trial
- (implied) right to legal representation
You can also talk about:
-->The law allows for general principles to be mitigated in individual cases in the case of the accussed.
Mitigation allows for fairness. The law attempts to treat everyone equally; that everyone in similar situations is taxed the same, everyone who commits the same crime is given the same penalty. The courts use discretion to reduce the penalty according to the circumstances.

And mate that's all i can really come with at the moment, just remember to use the following criteria/principles when evaluating the law:
Effectiveness of the Law
- factors to be considered when evaluating the effectiveness of law in achieving
justice:
--> for individuals: equality, accessibility, enforceability, resource efficiency,
protection and recognition of individual rights
--> for society: resource efficiency, law as a reflection of community standards
and expectations, opportunities for enforcement, appeals and review,
balance of individual rights and values and community rights and values

And no your not retarded cause this is a very broad question and covers all different aspects so yeah i think your teacher is just a retard, your a student you have the right to ask questions :p

Anyway hope what i said helped mate :)

Last edited:

pig_93

HSC
so should i just generally talk about the CRIMprocess and mention rights here and there etc?
i just dont know how much i could write!
what about morality etc? that whole section?

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
talk about the criminal process and the role in discretion
sentencing process
post sentencing decisions
effectiveness

also wat mani said :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)