Help with buying a laptop please (1 Viewer)

xFusion

HSC
hmm how much is an asus laptop bag + mouse?
and is Penta a good place to shop?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
dunno how much the bag and mouse cost separately.

Penta's not bad, i was gonna get from there at first, the penta in ultimo that is, but that was before i saw that myer had the same laptop with extras.

Last i saw, the M51VA from penta was around $1800, and the dude told me that 'he can get me the best deal in sydney'.
But they're a bit shifty, the dude's a paki, and when i went there he got a call on his mobile fone from an employee, he excused himself from me, and talked to the dude in paki.

Now, i understood every single word he was saying, me being paki too, and i almost laughed at the fact that he was violently threatening his employee, albeit with a calm but annoyed/exhausted expression on his face, because the other dude had just woken up and was late for work, hahahahaha.

That said, they do seem a bit shifty, not as in illegal, but as in they will do whatever they can to sell you their stuff, hence "i can get you the best deal in sydney" even tho the myer deal is like 5000 times better.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
perfect example of how the mac is only suggested by people who've already been suckered into buying it

AND

people who suggest buying it dont even have any good reasons for suggestion.

overpriced pieces of shit made up of parts that are equivalent to other laptops that are 2 years old.
Bought my Mac after having horrible experience with PC laptops (namely HPs) and was worth every cent. Plus I'm a software engineer, and OS X is probably the best Unix platform out there.

Pace_T

HSC
Bought my Mac after having horrible experience with PC laptops (namely HPs) and was worth every cent. Plus I'm a software engineer, and OS X is probably the best Unix platform out there.
im sure all the people who bought mac laptops are software engineers. right? especially all those girls.

i wouldnt touch an HP laptop either.

xFusion

HSC
LOL i see what you mean. very like asians with the 'i can get you the best deal' or 'this is a (insert event) special only' when its like a rip off.
i think ill just get it from MSY since its like heaps closer and cost 100bucks less than the penta store. Too bad i don't get a bag + mouse but then they probably don't cost the hundred bucks.

aussie-boy

HSC
um how would you define a shit resolution?

I got that laptop, theres nothing wrong with 1440x900.

Try and back up your statement?
oh soz, i thought the + in the specs was referring to WXGA (AND) colourshine, rather than WXGA+

yeah ur right... 1440*900 is fairly decent; i thought it was 1366*768

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
dunno how much the bag and mouse cost separately.

Penta's not bad, i was gonna get from there at first, the penta in ultimo that is, but that was before i saw that myer had the same laptop with extras.

Last i saw, the M51VA from penta was around $1800, and the dude told me that 'he can get me the best deal in sydney'.
But they're a bit shifty, the dude's a paki, and when i went there he got a call on his mobile fone from an employee, he excused himself from me, and talked to the dude in paki.

Now, i understood every single word he was saying, me being paki too, and i almost laughed at the fact that he was violently threatening his employee, albeit with a calm but annoyed/exhausted expression on his face, because the other dude had just woken up and was late for work, hahahahaha.

That said, they do seem a bit shifty, not as in illegal, but as in they will do whatever they can to sell you their stuff, hence "i can get you the best deal in sydney" even tho the myer deal is like 5000 times better.

I did workplacement with a Paki buisness. They told me to remove the 2 year warranty sticker from every laptop and put it in the "New" section.

I wiped them clean of my print afterwards.

xFusion

HSC
Heys, well my friend suggested the BenQ S42-PE05
The price is a little over $1300. what do you think?

Number of speakers

Audio Type
Stereo

Camera Resolution
2.0 MP

Display
Screen size
14.1 in

Screen Resolution
1280x800

General
Length (mm)

Width (mm)

Height (mm)

Weight (kg)

Weight without PSU (kg)

Graphics Card
Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

Graphics RAM
256 MB

Hard Drive
Storage capacity
320 GB

RPM

Input Devices
Input Devices
Touchpad, Keyboard

Media
Supported Memory Media
Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick, Secure Digital (SD), Multimedia Card (MMC)

Playable Discs
CD-R, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD±R, DVD±RW

Memory
Installed memory (RAM)
2 GB

Maximum memory (RAM)
4 GB

RAM Type
DDR2

L2 Cache Memory
3MB

Motherboard
Chipset
Intel GM45

Bus Speed
1066MHz

Multimedia Features
Inbuilt Camera
Yes

Built-in Microphone ( Mobile )
Yes

Modem
Yes

Optical Drives
Supported Media
CD-R, CD-ROM, CD-RW, CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo , DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD±R, DVD±RW, DVD±RW (+R double layer) , DVD±RW (dual layer) , DVD±RW (±R DL)

Drive Type
CD-RW/DVD-RW combo

PC Expansion Slots
Expansion Slots
ExpressCard/54

Power Options
Battery Type
Rechargeable - (Li-Ion)

Processor
Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600

Processor Speed

Software
Operating Systems
Microsoft Windows Vista

Wired Connections
Wired Terminals / Ports
ExpressCard, D-Sub, Firewire, HDMI Output, Headphone Jack, Line In, Microphone Jack , RJ11 Phone Jack, RJ45, USB 2.0

Number of D-Sub Ports

Number of Firewire Ports

Number of HDMI Output Ports

Number of Headphone Jack Ports

Number of Line In Ports

Number of Microphone Ports

Number of RJ45 Ports

Number of USB 2.0 Ports

Network Protocols Supported
Gigabit Ethernet

Wireless Connections
Wireless technology supported
Wireless 802.11n, Wireless 802.11b, Wireless 802.11g

Last edited:

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
holy crap, thats a very good mid-range laptop graphics card.

i want it.

tho not sure about benq's and how good they are in general.

xFusion

HSC
they seem alright through the reviews.
you might want to think about the design though (some Victorian vines shit). Its a girly notebook.

xFusion

HSC
lol funny thing about forums with reviews is that's what the guys mostly complain about.

HSC
I just brought a mini laptop (hp). Its pretty good, espcailly if I wanna take it to uni, but the only this is there is no CD drive. So i cant load CD's on.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
http://community.boredofstudies.org/123/central/201451/great-laptop-deal.html

However there are a couple of people in that thread saying that the customer support for hp is pretty atrocious, so buyer beware. I've had absolutely no problems with the laptop so far so I'd recommend it.
You're a twit. It's not just the customer service, it's the fact that they don't fulfil their basic obligations under the Trade Practices Act. I'm approaching six months without a refund for a laptop which had a multitude of problems (features advertised were missing, the trackpad was fucking terrible to use, the keyboard stopped responding, the touch sensitive buttoms at the top didn't work half the time, etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)