Help with choosing a new laptop! (1 Viewer)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
hello!

i am looking for a good laptop computer that i can carry around and use at uni. i have a tight budget (around $2000-$2500, $2500 MAX) so i am looking around for good deals.

i need help with finding good laptops to buy!
first priority--> a good graphics card!

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
One of my friends recently bought a Digitalstar (Australian company) PowerNote with an ATi 9700 graphics chip. The laptop plays Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, etc., and it only cost him $1899 or something like that. I can't track down that exact laptop (they seem to have discontinued it) but a similar one can be found here. The laptop costs $2199 and should handle anything you throw at it. My friend hasn't had any problems with his DigitalStar, and he's very happy with it. DigitalStar actually build your laptop to order when you purchase it, so you can decide on what specs you like (though the default specs on the laptop I linked to should do you well). If you don't like this model, check out the rest of their laptop line on their site. Happy hunting. :)

I_F

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
AVOID DIGITAL STAR-

My mate bought a Digistar machine back in 1999 (p2 400mhz) for $2k, and it was so poorly built, and IIRC the CPU was overclocked to 400, and the hard drive was of poor quality. When I went to check up on it, the company had renamed themself to "Digital Star" and said they weren't affiliated with "Digistar" despite having the same logo and office.

Anyhow, I personally recommend Dell. We've got 7 Dells now I think? I'm using an Inspiron 8600 atm to type this. If you want a good deal look through the Small Business section as they tend to include benefits/freebies/etc.. which aren't useless crap like an overpriced 256mb usb pendrive.

Your $2.5k budget should be enough to get you a decent portable notebook- if you want to, try going to one of those Dell stores at Parra or Chatswood to see the sizes, and based on that you can spec a machine. I highly recommend you get a decent battery life, then RAM, then hard drive space, then CPU speed. Make sure this is all based on the design/size you want (monitor size, keyboard typing is ok, has sufficient features you may need like WIFI for uni access, etc..).

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
insert-username said:
One of my friends recently bought a Digitalstar (Australian company) PowerNote with an ATi 9700 graphics chip. The laptop plays Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, etc., and it only cost him $1899 or something like that. I can't track down that exact laptop (they seem to have discontinued it) but a similar one can be found here. The laptop costs $2199 and should handle anything you throw at it. My friend hasn't had any problems with his DigitalStar, and he's very happy with it. DigitalStar actually build your laptop to order when you purchase it, so you can decide on what specs you like (though the default specs on the laptop I linked to should do you well). If you don't like this model, check out the rest of their laptop line on their site. Happy hunting. :)

I_F
Dont buy digitalstar laptops, the batteries only last an hour and my parents digitalstar laptop screen had to be replaces twice because of the cheap LCD backlights they use. Go to harvey norman, auburn They have alot of laptops at around $2000 with 128mb graphics card, and 80GB HD's

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
My mate bought a Digistar machine back in 1999 (p2 400mhz) for $2k, and it was so poorly built, and IIRC the CPU was overclocked to 400, and the hard drive was of poor quality. When I went to check up on it, the company had renamed themself to "Digital Star" and said they weren't affiliated with "Digistar" despite having the same logo and office.

Dont buy digitalstar laptops, the batteries only last an hour and my parents digitalstar laptop screen had to be replaces twice because of the cheap LCD backlights they use. Go to harvey norman, auburn They have alot of laptops at around $2000 with 128mb graphics card, and 80GB HD's
My friend has had neither of these problems with his laptop, so more I can't say.

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)