Help with choosing subjects in Science in information technology???!! (1 Viewer)

SophJI

HSC
MAJ02080 Business Information Systems Management48cp MAJ03444 Enterprise Systems Development48cp MAJ03445 Internetworking and Applications48cp MAJ02081 Computing and Data Analytics48cp Total 48cp

i want to become a network/software engineer
i have to choose one and i have no idea what these subjects are
does anyone have any idea of what i should choose if i want my career to be a software/network engineer?????? im confused

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
Internetworking is probably your major.
You don't choose Majors for a while, subjects you do first are Core.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Your two interests are very different-- -programming and networking are not covered in-depth together. The Internetworks and Applications major does cover a bit of Java (including JSPs), but it's certainly not comprehensive. The Enterprise Systems Development major does not cover networking at all.

If you are interested in both areas of IT, you can take two majors, but you will not get any electives or submajors (actually, depending on how you play your cards, you might get two electives, since the ESD and IA majors share one or two subjects).

Aeriff

HSC
This document may be of some use if you're confused about picking electives/submajors, etc. Helped me to get my head around it.

mystiques4

Awesome Member
HSC
I think the electives are free subject choices (assuming you meet the pre-requisites) from any course at UTS?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
The electives in the handbook almost exclusively say "Free choice of electives.", which is not very helpful to students. You are correct, electives are just subjects not related to your major/sub-major. They can come from another sub-major, or from another major, or could just be a free-choice subject, but they can't have any prerequisites unless you've explicitly met them. You could not take Advanced Programming without first doing Intermediate Programming (I made these subjects up, but they're good examples). Sometimes, subjects will also be limited to course-specified students-- if you're not enrolled in that specific course, you can't do the subject, even if it has no prerequisites.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Thanks for that, so where can I find a list of electives and their prereqs? I'm thinking of doing electives as opposed to two sub majors/one major.

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
The handbook is probably the best place to look for subjects-- there are so many that it'd be very hard to just list them all. Take a look at an area that interests you. When you find a subject, click on 'Access Restrictions' (it's usually at the bottom of the page for each subject). If it:

1) is undergraduate;
2) has no prerequisites;
3) Does not have a note limiting entry to students in the actual course

it's probably okay to enrol in.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Thanks for that.

On another note, do the majors also appear as sub majors? I was reading it somewhere under sub majors. It had the 4 majors + computer graphics/animation all under the sub majors heading. Is this right, or was I dreaming?

Also, I read (in another thread I guess) that you need to know what major you want to do when you enrol?

Aeriff

HSC
Thanks for that.

On another note, do the majors also appear as sub majors? I was reading it somewhere under sub majors. It had the 4 majors + computer graphics/animation all under the sub majors heading. Is this right, or was I dreaming?

Also, I read (in another thread I guess) that you need to know what major you want to do when you enrol?
This lists all the subjects for majors, submajors and their pre-requisites. If you look at the UTS handbook entry it lists all the subjects and when you should be undertaking them as a guide for your major. Where it lists 'Choose electives' is where you would put in your submajor subjects/electives.

kkwok25

UAI aim: 85+
HSC
were we also suppose to enrol in our sub majors? cos the lady at uts told me we didn't have to for now....=S

Aeriff

HSC
were we also suppose to enrol in our sub majors? cos the lady at uts told me we didn't have to for now....=S
I enrolled in a subject from one of the sub-majors I intend to do to fill the 6cp of electives in 2nd semester.

kkwok25

HSC
I enrolled in a subject from one of the sub-majors I intend to do to fill the 6cp of electives in 2nd semester.

oohh. cos i chose my major and selected the subject from the blue sheet. i'm intending to do sub majors too but i wasn't sure whether we we suppose to enrol in them too?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
On another note, do the majors also appear as sub majors?
Each major has a corresponding sub-major, but you can't do both. The sub-major is less intensive and has fewer subjects, but all of the subjects in the sub-major are also in the major.

Yes, I covered that in this post in another thread. If you're not in a combined degree, one of your subjects from your major will be a subject in spring semester (though there are ways to get out of it for now, the faculty recommends you do it this way).

oohh. cos i chose my major and selected the subject from the blue sheet. i'm intending to do sub majors too but i wasn't sure whether we we suppose to enrol in them too?
There are only 8 core subjects, but one requires you to have finished 13 subjects before you can take it; which only leaves 7 core subjects available for first year students. Technically, you could take all 7 core subjects in the first year, plus one from your major to make all 8, but the faculty does not recommend you take Database Fundamentals in the first year, since there is a lot of work and a lot of assumed knowledge involved. I would also recommend against it, since it is a some-what difficult class. That basically leaves 6 core subjects for your first year, but 8 classes you need to take- that's where the majors and sub-majors come in. Taking two subjects from your major is possible if there are no prerequisites, but it's easier just to take one subject from the major and one from the sub-major/electives.

So yeah, you don't have to choose a sub-major (or any electives) in your first year, but there are definitely benefits to it.

When in doubt, consult the handbook (as Aeriff said). Find the major you want to take, and take the subjects more or less identically to the outline. It's the best way to go until it doesn't work for you any more (if you fail, for example, you'll have to manipulate the outline a bit to accommodate you, but you'll know more about the system by that stage).

Last edited:

kkwok25

HSC
There are only 8 core subjects, but one requires you to have finished 13 subjects before you can take it; which only leaves 7 core subjects available for first year students. Technically, you could take all 7 core subjects in the first year, plus one from your major to make all 8, but the faculty does not recommend you take Database Fundamentals in the first year, since there is a lot of work and a lot of assumed knowledge involved. I would also recommend against it, since it is a some-what difficult class. That basically leaves 6 core subjects for your first year, but 8 classes you need to take- that's where the majors and sub-majors come in. Taking two subjects from your major is possible if there are no prerequisites, but it's easier just to take one subject from the major and one from the sub-major/electives.

So yeah, you don't have to choose a sub-major (or any electives) in your first year, but there are definitely benefits to it.

When in doubt, consult the handbook (as Aeriff said). Find the major you want to take, and take the subjects more or less identically to the outline. It's the best way to go until it doesn't work for you any more (if you fail, for example, you'll have to manipulate the outline a bit to accommodate you, but you'll know more about the system by that stage).
oooh thank you for clearing that up !! so basically sub majors starts in 2nd year? does that also go the same for the major subjects too?

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
oooh thank you for clearing that up !! so basically sub majors starts in 2nd year? does that also go the same for the major subjects too?
In the end, it really depends on how you choose to work in your major/sub-major/elective subjects. As I said, there are only 7 core subjects available in your first year, so you have to take a major or an elective (including sub-major) subject in your first year... but you should really be taking only 6 core subjects (because databases is hard) in the first year, and either 2 major subjects, or 1 major subject and 1 elective/sub-major subject.

A few people are having difficulties and are not looking in the right places for information. The handbook has a guide to what you, ideally, should be taking. It is by no means absolute, but it's there for a reason. I've copied one of the outlines from the handbook below. There are 4-- one for each major. You should ideally take a look at the one you're interested in.

From the handbook:
RED: CORE SUBJECTS
GREEN: MAJOR SUBJECTS

BLUE: ELECTIVES OR SUB-MAJOR SUBJECTS

Business Information Systems Management major

Year 1

Autumn semester
31265 Communication for IT Professionals 6cp
31266 Introduction to Information Systems 6cp
31267 Programming Fundamentals 6cp
31268 Web Systems 6cp

Spring semester

31269 Business Requirements Modelling 6cp
31270 Networking Essentials 6cp

31247 Collaborative Business Processes 6cp
Select 6 credit points of electives 6cp

Year 2

Autumn semester
31271 Database Fundamentals 6cp
31257 Information System Development Methodologies 6cp
31255 Finance and IT 6cp

Select 6 credit points of electives 6cp

Spring semester

31258 Innovations for Global Relationship Management 6cp
31245 Business Process and IT Strategy 6cp

Select 12 credit points of electives 12cp

Year 3

Autumn semester
31272 Project Management and the Professional 6cp
31276 Networked Enterprise Architecture 6cp

Spring semester
31280 Strategic IT Project 6cp
31282 Systems Testing and Quality Management 6cp

kkwok25

HSC
^ thanks for that information. sorry again, but i just wanted to know, if i choose an elective subject for spring semester, that just means i'll be only doing it for that semester and thats it? if that made any sense haha. cos im thinking to choose applications programming since i can't do any other subjects due to requisites and i really don't want to do it again in 2nd/3rd year haha thanks

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
If you've completed a subject, you can't take it again (even if you wanted to). The only exception to this rule is if you fail the subject... which I guess does not count as 'completing' it. So, if you take Apps Programming this year, you won't have to do it in second or third year unless you fail it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)