Help with clarification? (1 Viewer)

fredonon

HSC
N/A
I want to become an industrial engineer but I'm not sure which undergraduate course to take as there are no specific courses for industrial engineering.
Unlike America, Australia perhaps doesn't encourage this major?
Any help would be greatly appreciated^^

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
What specific field in industrial engineering are you looking into?

That should be what decides your major.

Industrial engineering is moreso a role in the workplace. You could be an industrial engineer as a Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Mechatronic, Civil, etc Engineer.

fredonon

HSC
N/A
What specific field in industrial engineering are you looking into?

That should be what decides your major.

Industrial engineering is moreso a role in the workplace. You could be an industrial engineer as a Mechanical, Electrical, Chemical, Mechatronic, Civil, etc Engineer.
I think this best summarises what kind of major I am searching for
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/engineering-majors/1612153-industrial-engineering.html

I believe mechatronics and industrial engineering are quite different but I will keep that in mind

I want a somewhat business orientated engineering, if that makes sense

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Disregard those other posts about Mechatronics.

In terms of what you want to do, your best bet is doing Engineering/Commerce. Then pick the major in Engineering which you prefer.

That pretty much is the best method to the role you want. Industrial Engineering meanwhile can come from a number of different Engineering disciplines as I said before.

fredonon

HSC
N/A
Would perhaps Engineering/Project Management be very similar to it?

As I am inclined to say the project management degree might be helpful in such a career.
Any thoughts?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Would perhaps Engineering/Project Management be very similar to it?

As I am inclined to say the project management degree might be helpful in such a career.
Any thoughts?
What uni is this and what program (please link it to me)?

Project Management does sound helpful, however I am not too sure of what it entitles in its entirety as a degree. So I would rather answer whether or not this satisfies or aids you in getting the role you want specifically after I understand exactly what you do in it.

D94

HSC
N/A
Business oriented engineering has always been akin to manufacturing engineering but that isn't very viable now in Australia. We don't have large production chains that require many individuals to optimise systems, to improve efficiency, to essentially manage production etc. so we don't need engineers to be studying in that specific 'field'. It can be learned on the job under virtually any engineering stream. The core engineering disciplines of Mechanical, Electrical, Civil and Chemical engineering can get you in an 'industrial engineering' based job.

Project Management is indeed useful in industrial engineering (and all engineering disciplines for that matter) but it is not a prerequisite to getting a job in that area.

fredonon

HSC
N/A

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah that would help with the business side of things especially, but you can obtain that level with just a bachelor's in engineering or combined with commerce as well. I suppose that the project management side of the combined program is roughly 1.5 years worth of courses in total (can't confirm however as I can't find an exact indicator of how many credit points are allocated to it).

This might serve as a way to "accelerate" into the role you want which I guess is what you are after. However you would need the experience first I would say before you end up in a more managerial role regardless. Do note though that it is possible to get into an Industrial Engineering role with just a single bachelor's, but it might take more time this way as you may require a bit more experience before deemed suitable by employers and committees for a managerial type role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)