Help with Coleridge? (1 Viewer)

cool_as_ice14

HSC
I am preparing for my trials, and trying to rewrite my essays I was wondering if anyone could comment on it - I have asked my teacher but he isn't very helpful.any help would be appreciated.

In each of these texts there is a purpose in the imaginative journeys which rise above physical limitations. Coleridge’s poems, “Kubla Khan’ and ‘Lime tree Bower, My prison’ demonstrate this through the power of the imaginative journey. Two texts that relate to power of the imaginations and its ability to transcend physical limitations are Margaret Atwood’s, ‘Journey into the interior’and John Keats, ‘Ode on an Grecian urn’.

Coleridge, A romantic was fascinated by the imagination and that all minds could journey into realizations. ‘Kubla Khan’ is entirely within the imaginative journey of an opium induced escape. It encompasses the beauty of nature and it’s metaphorically ‘measureless to man’ and life. Coleridge uses the juxtaposition of opposites to show the possibilities of perfection and uses evocative and imaginary imagery through abstraction. The River Alph a stream of consciousness which winds it’s way into Coleridge’s delirium, is also a metaphor for human experience and the creative process. ‘Miles meandering …mazy motion’ is alliteration which shows the imagery in the rivers journey. ‘A mighty fountain momently was forced’, this metaphoric line shows the imagery of creation, the river is violent, sexual and erotic. The ‘sunny dome’ is juxtaposed with ‘caves of ice’ as two extremes of nature. Coleridge employs ‘forest ancient as hills’ to show the mysterious and natural imagery of the terrain where the imagination can flourish.

The imaginative journey is interrupted, Coleridge tries to claim it back, he laments that if he can re capture ‘her symphony and song’ he could be like Kubla and build sunny domes and caves of ice to transcend humanity. He accepts that perfection is not possible and the exotic and fantastic journey has helped him realize the limitations of humanity. The imagination is celebrated but is flawed if used to surpass imperfections of mortal existence.

‘The Lime tree Bower, My Prison’ celebrates the beauty of nature through the imagination. Coleridge uses evocative sensorial images of nature to engage the audience in the texts. He is first in despair, ‘here I must remain… I have lost/beauties and feelings’ This ultimately shows the confines of his captivity, he notices minute details which are easily overlooked. ‘yellow leaves…fanned by the waterfall’ but through the imagination we are able to focus on only one thing, ‘behold the dark green file of long, lank weeds’, this shows the ability to focus on finer details of the imaginative world this is seen through the alteration of ‘long lank’. Coleridge recreates the scenes for the audience through aural devices and the onomatopoeic, ‘roaring dell’. This expetition results in learning. In the middle of the poem, Colerdige experiences and pehiphany , ‘a delight comes sudden on my heart and I am glad/ as I myself was there’. Surpassing the physical limitations result in the awareness of nature but in the end though the physical body is confined, the mind is free.
Margaret Atwood’s, ‘Journey into the interior’ conveys the metaphorical allusion travelled through the journey of the individual. ‘travel is not the easy going… a dotted line on a map’. This contrasts to the evocative imagery of Coleridge’s Kubla Khan. There are Images of domestic life used; ‘a paring knife on the kitchen table’ shows the person’s ability to gain an understanding of themselves. The need for journey is shown. ‘Have I been walking in circles again’? Atwood shows no outcome to this journey showing the dangers of a journey unexpected and personal. It is an extension of our subconscious where ‘only a few have been returned safely’. This journey could result in complete immersion or revulsion. Atwood states, it’s easier for me to be lost here forever than in other landscapes’. It shows similarities on ‘Front in Midnight’ where contemplative thoughts constitute an imaginative journey through introspective which engage though and memory to achieve awareness of one ’s self.

‘Ode on a Grecian Urn’ composed by John Keats and is a journey of empathy through physical appreciation and the images of statis of an urn. Imagery of the lovers, ‘fair youth, beneath the trees’ evoke interminable love through a passion with no cynicism or pretence. ‘For ever panting, for ever young’. The lovers lips will never touch, ‘bold lover never, never canst thou kiss’. The repetition of ‘never’ shows sexual frustration and torment and starts the journey of both people. Keats contemplates the issues of mortality beyond physical limitations through the imagination. This is similar to ‘Lime tree Bower, My Prison’ where the imagination of the mind is engaged which helps in gaining and appreciation of nature and life. ‘Beauty is truth, truth is beauty’, this proverb shows the immortality of the urn and shows the imaginative world is more potent than the physical world.

These texts demonstrate the power of the imaginative journey and it’s ability to transcend physical limitations resulting in an awareness to the individual.

fearless86

HSC
is this your essay??

ok so youve shown you can analyse poetry techniques, and youve got some sort of argument, but you have to LINK THE TWO together. you sound like youre just repeating things your teacher told you to say, but you have to show you know why youre saying them. when you state the techniques, link them back to the purpose of the essay.

youve got to be able to synthesise an argument. whats the thesis in this essay? can you sum up this essay in 1 line?

you mention 'there is a purpose in the imaginative journeys which rise above physical limitations' but you need to make this argument clearer. same goes for your line at the end of your essay 'These texts demonstrate the power of the imaginative journey and it’s ability to transcend physical limitations resulting in an awareness to the individual.'

most essay Q's will be vague like 'how is the concept of an imaginative journey explored in your texts' and youll have to say 'through certain literary techniques (quote examples) Coleridge uses the concept of an imaginative journey to demonstrate his belief in ...'

Its true that english is about bullshit, but when you say-
‘Beauty is truth, truth is beauty’, this proverb shows the immortality of the urn'
this is pretty far-fetched, even for 2U english.

heres a practice essay i found on BOS when i was doing my hsc in 2004. it might help you to read it, and think about the fact that this person is showing CLEARLY they know what they're on about with every sentence they say.

lonely_devil

HSC
yea... i feel the same as fearless86...
you need to link them together... and also i think it will help to use topic sentences, so that it is evident that you've referred to the question and actually answering it.

ellejay145

HSC
i have only read parts of your thread as i am just browsing, but i have a few comments;
firstly, AOS needs you to have variety of texts, does it not? (correct me if i am wrong) so therefore, i think everything you are using are poems ... yes? although it is good that you can link how each different poets uses their techniques, markers are looking for a variety of texts .. so perhaps think over this before the HSC.
secondly, do not assume too much about Coleridge ; or any composers (ie do you actually know he was on drugs?) base everything you say on facts, and be prepared to back it up.
thats all i have so far, goodluck with the HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)