Help with Deciding. (1 Viewer)

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
someone on this forum had earlier said:

"Stick with standard I think.
Theres no point in doing advanced and making it harder for yourself.
When you score over 75 in standard (which you will) you will be scaled in terms of atar etc the same as advanced.
Atleast in standard you can guarantee you will do well and get good scaling.
With advanced you will do less well and your atar will suffer."

How much should i believe this?
please help
and umm Is the ATAR only based on your YR12 scores and ranks or YR11 too?

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
someone please reply 2 my question
its really urgent
thx once again

Reanna

HSC
if you're doing alright in advanced keep it

they rarely ever award band sixes to standard- just the way it seems to work

talk to your academic advisor or better yet english teacher- they know how youre going better than a forum

:)

Nyxie

HSC
It is very hard to go well in Standard, because the classes are usually unfocused and undedicated, you often don't get a great teacher and the texts themselves are much less interesting. Pretty much, how can you motivate yourself to go well in a standard class if it's a bad learning environment, with an uninspiring teacher and boring texts?

With Advanced you will get a much better class, a better teacher and interesting texts. Yes, the work is significantly harder and you will have to put effort in to go well. But in my opinion, it is much easier to put effort into something that is interesting, than it is to try in a dry and boring subject.

You have to be dedicated to go well in Advanced, but it is definitely worth it :D

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot guys. You helped alot.
But how hard is advanced exactly?
i saw last years HSC papers for advanced online and its hard as.
Your opinion?

arjun9194

HSC
N/A
BUT isnt the papers for Advanced Hard?
I looked at it online and it is actually quite a lot harder than the standard one?
What do you guys think?

NewiJapper

HSC
Depends how hard you make it for yourself. Lacking consistent effort and study for advanced english will results in a BAD result, yes some people may not do as much work as others but still get a good mark...but I believe a lot more people could do advanced and obtain a good mark with consistent effort.

FrozenSky

HSC
Advance and standard is the exact same difficulty (i dropped from advance to standard), it's just that advance teachers expect more... The only real difference is that advance scales better in band 6 than a band 6 in standard (adv and std is very similar scaling wise). The real positive in staying in advance is that the working environment would be much better as stated by an earlier post. In addition, advance people are stronger than standard people in general, so there is a better chance in attaining a higher school mark for eng. However, one advantage of standard is that your competing against weaker students. Therefore it is easier for you to grab the top ranks.

skye_high

HSC
someone on this forum had earlier said:

"Stick with standard I think.
Theres no point in doing advanced and making it harder for yourself.
When you score over 75 in standard (which you will) you will be scaled in terms of atar etc the same as advanced.
Atleast in standard you can guarantee you will do well and get good scaling.
With advanced you will do less well and your atar will suffer."

How much should i believe this?
please help
and umm Is the ATAR only based on your YR12 scores and ranks or YR11 too?
i'm not sure about the scaling, but if you're doing okay in adv i think you should keep it. btw, are you talking abt maths or eng?
and yeah, none of your year 11 marks count for anything, only the hsc, trials and assessments in year 12

good luck! :)

kfnmpah

HSC
stick with advanced.

like others have said, more band sixes are given out to advanced students than standard, the cohort will affect how you are scaled (obvs you'll scale better with a stronger cohort i.e. in advanced)

bit of a personal story-
I've always been shit at english. I did advanced, tried really hard to study but I couldn't, came 45th out of 54 students in advanced, made up my essays on the spot (i got around 13/20 for each i'm guesstimating) and got an atar of 85 with a mid band 4 in english, which I and my teacher were stoked/surprised with.

Do advanced, if you struggle with essays just write/memorise a really fucking good introduction and conclusion and wing the rest, make it somewhat decent/gramatically correct etc and you'l be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)