Help with degree and general uncle things (1 Viewer)

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Ok well i got accepted into chemical engineering/science at newcastle, and today i got this package with information on O weeks for both faculties im invovled in, hecs fees and a few other things. Anyway on the top of the pile of things in the package was this notes labelled important in red capital letters

" Dear Student

As your combined degree is delivered by two separate faculties you are required to attend both information sessions which cover your study programme.

Faculties provide orientation information sessions at the start of each study year

These sessions give vital details on enrolment, timetables and tutorials"

So as im reading this to myself, im think ok, that no worries i was planning to go to the uni a few times during O week anyway. So i open up the science O week planner and look for the importants sessions which are on tuesday 24th from 11 am-3 30pm, i think to myself thats ok as well; then i look at the engineering O'week planner and suprise suprise my engineering sessions are on at the same time, though i think the most important sessions for science and engineering are on at different times, still wtf newcastle uni, you can expect me to be at both, at the same time. Oh well at least there is a free pancake breakfast on the tuesday; and why does the science session say "science and it international student information session"

Also i was wondering, would i be able to major in biology for my science degree, and become a biochemical engineering, because ive found nothing about it through uncle, they only talk about major in chemisty. If i can major in biology, would be it difficult to get anywhere as a biochemical engineering, would i be better off majoring in chemisty.

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Welcome to the University of Newcastle..

Re: international student session, you don't go to that.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
then what is my information session for science, it only has a tour and lunch otherwise then the international thing

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
they're not essential by any stretch of the imagination

probably better going to the engineering one, more to see there

---

it's unlikely you can do a different major, because there's so many courses that count towards both Chem Eng and the BSc(Chemistry)

still email the program convenors and ask, though

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
a bio major, at a bare minimum, requires

biol1001 or 1002
biol1003

biol2xxx
biol2xxx
biol2xxx

biol3xxx
biol3xxx
biol3xxx
biol3xxx

so you'd need to find at least 9 subjects in the BSc component of your combined degree that DO NOT also count towards your BE(Chemical Eng.)

a chemistry major consists of

chem1010
chem1020
chem2110
chem2210
chem2310
chem2410
and 4 chem3xxx courses

in the standard chemical engineering degree you have
chem1010
chem1020
compulsory, and that's it

so it should be possible in theory

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Yeh I don't even remember the info sessions but I'm pretty sure they were a total non-event. I vaguely remember sitting in the great hall getting talked at and hearing nothing new.

I agree, if anything, probably choose engineering. I don't know what your options are sorry, but the international session thingy is not for you.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
in first year you'd have to do the standard program to get chem1010 and chem1020 out of the way

and also probably overload and do biol1001 and biol1003 in 1st & 2nd semester

that should be ok because they're so easy

then in 2nd year substitute the three chem subjects for biol

and then likewise for the rest of the degree substitute biol subs for chem subs

u may have to overload one more time because there's a directed chemistry course in the 2nd year of chem eng

yeah basically ask the program convenor, lol

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Its just i looked it up on the uncle website and they only showed chemical engineering combined with chemistry, and the only subject i could take which was bio related was medical and biological studies

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
yeah because they established the program to allow u to do a chemical engineering degree plus a science degree majoring in chemistry

so that's the program it shows

but it should be possible to substitute the CHEM courses for BIOL courses and have a BIOL major instead, just you'd have to overload twice because you're still doing CHEM1010 and CHEM1020 for the Chemical Engineering degree

you have to email the program convenor and ask if you're allowed to do it

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Any information told in the information sessions can be found on the website. It's the usual house keeping crap, like who your program coordinators are, where your rooms are, etc. Honestly, for me, it felt like a waste of time.

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
Big waste of time. Only thing worthwhile is if you go talk to people. Engineering is networking, finding out who will let you 'work with them' ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)