help with dot-point: • Process information to describe recent discoveries of elements (1 Viewer)

dreamer7

HSC
Hey,

I've looked in the resources section of this site and still cannot find decent information on this dot-point:

Process information to describe recent discoveries of elements.

can someone help please?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Re: help with dot-point: • Process information to describe recent discoveries of elem

Basically you need to research and study at least 2 recently discovered elements (notice the plural in elements). These elements are all around the bottom of the periodic table.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BrotherBread

HSC
Re: help with dot-point: • Process information to describe recent discoveries of elem

I recently completed this pointmyself and was a bit shady on to what depth. But they method I used was I went to web elements and looked up ununium, it has a brief note on how they are made (like bombarded with i can't remember) then I wrote the chemistry of tha reaction, and any subsequent decays, I did this for 3 elements.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC

I mentioned the words "Neutron capture" for a question on regarding this dot point in my Materials test and I got full marks.

HSC

Well in my notes i made this yr i had this info under that dot point:

 Elements 118 and 116 were discovered by accelerating a beam of krypton-86 ions into an energy of 449 million electron volts and directing the beam into targets of lead-208

 The team of Berkeley Lab scientists that announced in 1999 the observation of what appeared to be element 118 – heaviest undiscovered transuranic element at the time.

 The Berkeley lab built an 88 inch particle-accelerating cyclotron to test the theory which predicted that nuclei with 114 protons and 184 neutrons may be unusually stable. This has the ability to accelerate neutron rich krypton 86 ions to high velocities and smack them into heavy elements such as lead 208.

I think we got a worksheet with some of this info...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)