help with emma (1 Viewer)

chocaholiic

HSC
heya. chapter 31 of emma the last paragraph - i'm totally lost on it.

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart" said she afterwards to herself. "there is nothing to be compared to it. Warmth and tenderness of heart, with an affectionate, open manner, will beat all the clearness of head in the world, for attraction. i am sure ut will. it is tenderness of heart which makes my dear father so generally beloved - which gives isabella all her popularity.-i have it not - but i know how to prize and respect it. Harriet is my superior in my charm and all the felicity it gives. Dear Harriet!- would not change you for the clearest-headed, long-sighted,best judging female breathing. Oh! the coldness of Jane Fairfax!- Harriet is worth a hundred such. - And for a wife - a sensible man's wife - it is invaluable. i mention no names;but happy the man who changes Emma for Harriet"

please explain :)

Trev

stix
HSC
I have no god damn clue. But who cares about a single stupid paragraph?
I skipped most of the book, not understanding a fair 90% of it, and I still get the gist.
I got to school the next day, not knowing the following:
a) There are actually 2 Mr. Knightleys
b) What 'Box Hill' was
c) Who Jane Fairfax, Frank Churchill or Isabella were (other characters also)
And many other events, hehe.

LJP

HSC
chocaholiic said:
heya. chapter 31 of emma the last paragraph - i'm totally lost on it.

"There is no charm equal to tenderness of heart" said she afterwards to herself. "there is nothing to be compared to it. Warmth and tenderness of heart, with an affectionate, open manner, will beat all the clearness of head in the world, for attraction. i am sure ut will. it is tenderness of heart which makes my dear father so generally beloved - which gives isabella all her popularity.-i have it not - but i know how to prize and respect it. Harriet is my superior in my charm and all the felicity it gives. Dear Harriet!- would not change you for the clearest-headed, long-sighted,best judging female breathing. Oh! the coldness of Jane Fairfax!- Harriet is worth a hundred such. - And for a wife - a sensible man's wife - it is invaluable. i mention no names;but happy the man who changes Emma for Harriet"

please explain :)
basically it's just Emma begining to figure out that she's a bit of a brat/idiot/insert profanity;) she figures out that it's not all money and social status that is the be all, end all, but in actualy fact it's Harriet's compassion for others and that of her father, sister etc. She learns to value "inner" beauty rather than financial beauty....i think...lol hope that makes sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)