help with getting to know someone.. (1 Viewer)

defekt

HSC
N/A
Hi there, I've got a problem. Theres this girl I'm interested in who catches the same train as me, but I dont have the courage to start a conversation because I'm a complete stranger (and you know the saying: you should never talk to strangers) Anyway, if I was to approach her what should I say? Would the stranger issue be a problem?

HSC
N/A
this is kinda on a tangent (and on a platonic level) but I was buying bread for a canteen the other day and was literally carting around 12 loaves of bread - yes, twelve ;) This guy in the queue behind me leaned over and joked "Did you just buy up all of Cole's bread?" and then we chatted for a few minutes before the next cashier was free :)

^ That's supposed to be an example of how easy and non-awkward it can be to talk to someone you don't know very well. You don't *have* talk dive straight into the "hey guess what I like you" - just get to talking level first. If talking about the weather is a bit banal, then pick something else - maybe she has a cool sticker on her backpack that looks like it's got one of your favourite bands on it, maybe cityrail is totally screwed up and you're (conveniently) close enough to her to say "omg this is so stupid! It's going to be ages till I get home at this rate, what about you?" or something like that :)

HSC
N/A
Mike Ockisard said:
this thread's probably a rather lame gee-up, but starting off a conversation with 'hi' isnt gonna work if the person is too self conscious to be able to start a conversation with someone

theyll say hi and then the chick will say hi and he wont know what to say next...........awkward central
Agreed, that's why you should always talk about something :D

frazzle

HSC
glitterfairy said:
this is kinda on a tangent (and on a platonic level) but I was buying bread for a canteen the other day and was literally carting around 12 loaves of bread - yes, twelve ;) This guy in the queue behind me leaned over and joked "Did you just buy up all of Cole's bread?" and then we chatted for a few minutes before the next cashier was free :)

^ That's supposed to be an example of how easy and non-awkward it can be to talk to someone you don't know very well. You don't *have* talk dive straight into the "hey guess what I like you" - just get to talking level first. If talking about the weather is a bit banal, then pick something else - maybe she has a cool sticker on her backpack that looks like it's got one of your favourite bands on it, maybe cityrail is totally screwed up and you're (conveniently) close enough to her to say "omg this is so stupid! It's going to be ages till I get home at this rate, what about you?" or something like that :)
Hahaha that's great! I second this. Once you start talking it'll be really easy, and you don't even have to start off with the greatest line. Complain about the trains, or you can always ask her for the time?

Jiga

this is kinda on a tangent (and on a platonic level) but I was buying bread for a canteen the other day and was literally carting around 12 loaves of bread - yes, twelve This guy in the queue behind me leaned over and joked "Did you just buy up all of Cole's bread?" and then we chatted for a few minutes before the next cashier was free

^ That's supposed to be an example of how easy and non-awkward it can be to talk to someone you don't know very well. You don't *have* talk dive straight into the "hey guess what I like you" - just get to talking level first. If talking about the weather is a bit banal, then pick something else - maybe she has a cool sticker on her backpack that looks like it's got one of your favourite bands on it, maybe cityrail is totally screwed up and you're (conveniently) close enough to her to say "omg this is so stupid! It's going to be ages till I get home at this rate, what about you?" or something like that
Although I agree you have to start a open ended convo so it continues and doesnt get awkward... with that 12 loaves of bread, I would comment on that even if ya not trying to pick up, it would look funny someone walking out holding that much... really open opportunities like that are very rare though :uhhuh:

theyll say hi and then the chick will say hi and he wont know what to say next...........awkward central

bottom line is ur not gonna pick up this chick unless u grow some balls and act confident. even if you're not confident - act it.
Yeah you have to start with something that is open ended and will get an answer thats longer than 'hi' or 'no' and will then build on from that as well. I would agree as well you need to grow some balls becuase you cannot expect the chik to just magically walk up to you. In saying this though, there are indicators if she is remotely interested, maybe walk past her a couple of times (like normally when your boarding the train, not stalkerish) and see if their is any eye contact or if she even looks your way or whatever. If she does, then at least you can go in with SOME confidence.

celene123

HSC
well if you dont know them, then you'll never find out if they're really nice or really sweet, take a chance what have you go to lose, i mean even if they dont like you in the end at least you know you would've at least tried to get to know them

Dr_Doom

HSC
Nah I wouldn't talk to them. You have to make them interested in you somehow. For example, see a picture of slipknot on their folder. Then you could also get a pic of slipknot. And they'd be like "OMG I love slipknot". And you'd be like "Well I don't!". Then tell her the whole story that you did it to get her attention and she will think it's funny and also know you like her. GOODLUCK!

j_a_m_e_s

Big Member
HSC
That is the weakest attempt at a move that i have ever heard/seen. Just make a random joke about something to her. And something decent and clean not "you could lose Europe in that chicks ass crack".

Last edited:

nwatts

HSC
i'm not looking to pick up, but i'll often start conversations with interesting looking people in queues or in pubs etc. if you're observational as to something interesting going on your viscinity, conversations are easy to pick up. glitterfairy's situation is a perfect example of something i'd do.

my advice would be, learn to spring conversations with randoms before trying to do it with someone you're out to impress.

j_a_m_e_s said:
"you could lose Europe in that chicks ass crack".
this will also work

nwatts

HSC
i'm not looking to pick up, but i'll often start conversations with interesting looking people in queues or in pubs etc. if you're observational as to something interesting going on your viscinity, conversations are easy to pick up. glitterfairy's situation is a perfect example of something i'd do.

my advice would be, learn to spring conversations with randoms before trying to do it with someone you're out to impress.

j_a_m_e_s said:
"you could lose Europe in that chicks ass crack".
this will also work

HSC
Ohh .. haha .. ummm ..yeah i agree say hi .. or really corny.. but ask whats the time?? maybe that'd work .. then ... try to get into a convo /// i guess..

GOODLUCK ....

tC.

xoxo:)

blueeyesguy

HSC
well this seems like a similar situation to the 1 im in except im not trying to talk to a girl on a train lol.1 suggestion just play it cool listen to what she has to say ill assume that girls love that and please dont make my mistake of asking "so how were you're exams" lol. Good luck dude if all else fails theres always other girls. I say if its meant to be it will feel natural when you talk to her.Btw what is a troll lol i know what a troll is but in the context of this site what does this mean????

Neocity

HSC
I've got an idea that I stoke off that TV show "How I Met Your Mother" I'm dying to try it myself but havn't had the opportunity yet...

Ingredients...
1. Hot chick (if not available a norml chick will do)
2. Yourself.

And most improtantly

3. A friend why isn't afraid to look stupid.

Method.. In three easy steps

1. Take your friend on the train with you and point out to him/her the 'hot chick' target.

2. With your friend, walk past the 'hot chick', as you pass her your friend has to tap the 'hot chick' on the shoulder and say "Hi have you met (your name here)" while indicating you.

3. Your friend should then leave the carrage ergo leaving you with the 'hot chick' already in a forced (and as far as the 'hot chick' knows) unplanned conversation.

As I said I stole this off a TV show but I think it really has some practical application potential and would be grateful for you to try it out and report back..

The best bit is that you get to start the touching straight away.. risk free cause your friend does it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)