Help With Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad?! (1 Viewer)

Bozo275

HSC
Um well hard to explain really, pretty much the whole book!

lychnobity

HSC
Um well hard to explain really, pretty much the whole book!
Right, 'helping' with the whole book... ok, lets see... what? You don't understand what the book is about? I can help with that.

You don't get the metaphors? Don't understand what's happening, how something happened?

If you have more than 1 problem with the book, explain your problem. If you're not going to put in the effort to explain, no one should put the effort in to help you.

Help me help you.

Bozo275

HSC
Sorry Lychnobity, had a bad night reading. Yes that it, the metaphors, the book is full of them, yet they dont make so much sense to me. For instance, the whole snake thing?

Apologies

lychnobity

HSC
Sorry Lychnobity, had a bad night reading. Yes that it, the metaphors, the book is full of them, yet they dont make so much sense to me. For instance, the whole snake thing?

Apologies
No worries

The snake is a symbol for the Suez Canal which Marlow is travelling up in his quest to meet Kurtz.

If you look at a map of Africa, you'll see the Suez Canal, looks a bit like a snake.

Scheherazade

HSC

Apologies
The Snake, I believe also refers to Evil...
As many great literature refers to the bible again and again, the whole snake concept is talking about how Marlowe is "captivated" by the snake just as Eve was in the garden of Eden. I think that is why it is being compared with the river because it his journey to Darkness, Evil? I am not quite sure, but i read the book twice and that's what i thought of the whole snake thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)