HELP with major for Commerce/Science Degree (1 Viewer)

rossverg

HSC
Hi everyone,

I got an offer for Commerce/Science at USyd in the final round, but I am not sure of the following. If I accept it, I want to makor in psychology in the science part but I'm confused with how long the program goes for..... If I do major in psychology - does anybody know if this is spread out over the 5-year period or does it still take 3 years like it would in a normal BSc degree :S..... Also, if I wanted to do an Honours year for my BSC (Psychology) to become a psychologist, would that Honours year be undertaken AFTER the 5 year degree or can I do it in the final years together with my commerce degree? (assuming that the psychology major can be finished in the noraml amount of time).

Thanks for the help and sorry if this sounds too confsuding....

JimJam...1

HSC
i think since you organise your degree subjects and the order that you can take them in, and once you have done the pre-requisites for your psychology major, you can do it as fast as the course will allow?
it depends whether or not they make you take half com/half science units each semester??

rossverg

HSC
JimJam...1 said:
i think since you organise your degree subjects and the order that you can take them in, and once you have done the pre-requisites for your psychology major, you can do it as fast as the course will allow?
it depends whether or not they make you take half com/half science units each semester??

Hm I'm not sure but I think they do split the units up witha focus more n the commerce side.

I did find this piece of info on their website for the combined commerce/science degree though:

Both the Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Science can be awarded with honours. Joint honours courses are available.

"For the Bachelor of Commerce, students must successfully complete an additional honours year of study. For details of this program students should refer to the Honours year information listed under the .

For the award of honours in the Bachelor of Science, students must complete successfully an additional honours year of study in any of the subject areas as specified in the Faculty of Science Handbook. For details of requirements for honours, students should refer to the Faculty of Science Handbook."

So just to confirm, apparently I do need to do an extra year for Honours in BSC ON TOP of my 5 year degree? Is that what this is saying? And therefore I can't combine my honours study within the 5 year degree?

Btw that quote was from http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/course/FH034.html

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
rossverg said:
So just to confirm, apparently I do need to do an extra year for Honours in BSC ON TOP of my 5 year degree? Is that what this is saying? And therefore I can't combine my honours study within the 5 year degree?
For a combined 5-year degree I think you have to do 6 years for honours. I think you can either tack the honours year on the end or do it sometime in the middle (provided you've already completed the part of the degree you want to do honours in).

rossverg

HSC
Triangulum said:
For a combined 5-year degree I think you have to do 6 years for honours. I think you can either tack the honours year on the end or do it sometime in the middle (provided you've already completed the part of the degree you want to do honours in).
I didn't know it would be possible to do an honours in the middle of the degree... I got this generic program of study from the faculty website though... From that, would it be possible to do the Honours instead of "Intermediate or science elective"? SOryr I'm not sure about wha tthese terms mean etc...

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/download.php?id=6604

rossverg

HSC
The outline for psycholgoy major is also here http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/info/Psych_study_overview.html.

If I follow what they have there, I should finish a major in psych by year 3 end. I have Year 4 and Year 5 vacant where I could complete an honours - if this is possible..... Other than that it may well be there for me to do anotehr subject. Why does the info given on the Usyd website have to be so confusing lol.

americanshoes

HSC
hey, I've finished 2 years of this degree and pretty much plan to do the same thing as you (psyc major for science with honours).

Triangulum is right, you can complete your honours in the middle of your combined degree as long as you've completed the requirements for the particular degree you want the honours awarded in (in this case, science)

So yes, you could get your psyc major in your first 3 years and do psyc honours in your fourth year. But since honours in Science is an extra year, you'd have to stay back for another 2 years to finish the Commerce component of the program. So in total it would be 6 years, regardless of whether you do honours in the middle of the degree or at the end of the degree.

Last edited:

americanshoes

HSC
and of course if you want to become a practising psychologist you'll have to do an extra two years of study or supervised experience on top of your science with honours, so that would end up being 8 years for someone in a combined degree program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)