Help With Modern History HSC Essay (1 Viewer)

Pete1555

HSC
Hey all,
I'm currently trying to answer the Question 10 in Modern History HSC 2005: Russia and The Soviet Union. Here it is...

"Evaluate the view that Bolshevik power was consolidated only because Lenin modified Communist ideology in the period 1917–1924."

I'm not asking for a complete response, but I just want a list or guide on what needs to be included in this essay. e.g. April Thesis, November Revolution etc...

I hope this makes sense... Cheers

ocstew

HSC
Only did this last year but I'm already very hazy...I'll try my best though.

Looking at the time period you'll want to have three body paragraphs relating to:

The First 6 Months
- Lenin's changes to traditional Marxist Ideology
The Civil War and War Communism
- Lenin's leadership role in the Civil War in comparison to Trotsky's
- Note the extent to which they broke down the soldier's soviets and labour unions, additionally creating a machinery of power through the Cheka in opposition to traditional Communist ideology
- Talk about how this was neccessary in relation to the question
- Make a judgement about this and more
The NEP Period
- The re allowance of small scale capitalism was yet again against Communist Ideology, attribute this to the willingness of Lenin to compromise his beliefs in order to consolidate Bolshevik strength after the Civil War.

Remember that you should not talk about the April Thesis or the October/November Revolution; this question requires you to address the events after the revolution. The points I've listed are there you get you started; they are just some general examples.

The questions you should be asking yourself to write this question are these:
In this period, 1917-1924 what changes to the current system of governance were implemented?
Who argued for these changes, that would end up strengthening the Bolshevik consolidation?
By how much did these reforms go against traditional Marxist and even pre-revolution Bolshevik ideals?
How much of a role did Lenin play in advocating or implementing these reforms?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)