Help with my UAI with standard english & general maths (1 Viewer)

backfire

HSC
Hello, I am really scared about my UAI! becoz i took general mathsand standard english! I would like to know if i would get a good UAI!?? or would i get scaled down???

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Re: need help?? with UAI

backfire said:
Hello, I am really scared about my UAI! becoz i took general mathsand standard english! I would like to know if i would get a good UAI!?? or would i get scaled down???
standard english scales the SAME as advanced. like 100000 of students would tell you, if you do well in your subjects then you WON'T get affected. most of my subject scale pretty bad, but i never think about it. just do your best and you`ll be fine.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC

By the way you put it, choosing the "wrong subjects" means you're fucked.

Seriously, scaling means zero if you don't do well. Focus on getting good marks, because that's what gets you a good UAI. Doing a high-scaling subject is nothing if you're absolutely rubbish at it.

H

housemouse

too bad the number of band 5s and 6s are low in standard english

HSC
N/A

I did general maths. It didn't fuck me over. I got 89 for HSC and 94.4 uai. Just make sure you're at the top end of your class, then it shouldn't affect your uai too much.

p.s. general doesnt scale so bad. They gave double to amount of band 6s in general maths than in Business Studies in 2005 hsc. Standard english is a different matter.

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A

backfire said:
If you do poorly in general maths and standard english, you will get scaled down quite severely and this will of course affect your UAI. However if you do well in these subjects, you will not be affected much by the scaling of these subjects and your UAI will not be much affected. So don't give up, keep working at it!

P

pLuvia

backfire said:
So what if you took standard maths and english? many people get nice UAIs with those subjects, just do well and don't worry about scaling too much

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
backfire said:
What is your desired UAI first of all? I don't think many people here are being very honest or truthful. Mate, i believe if ur gonna do standard eng and maths than you might as well not worry about ur UAI. Your gonna have to study real hard if you want to produce great results.

A l

HSC
N/A
backfire said:
The highest UAI obtained by a student taking General Mathematics last year was 99.65. The highest UAI obtained by a student taking English (Standard) last year was 99.70. In other words there is nothing to worry about regardless of what marks you achieve.
Deltan said:
I don't think many people here are being very honest or truthful.
I think many people here are being very honest or truthful. I think people like you are being deluded by the scaling myths.

tennille

HSC
As long as you do well enough in those subjects, you can achieve a high UAI.

Deltan said:
What is your desired UAI first of all? I don't think many people here are being very honest or truthful. Mate, i believe if ur gonna do standard eng and maths than you might as well not worry about ur UAI. Your gonna have to study real hard if you want to produce great results.
Do you even know how the scaling system works?

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
koe1988 said:
yeah man its quite bad cif you do standard english and general math, i would guess that the best uai if you do both of then will be around 85, my freind did general math but he still 92, but in your case standartd english is quite bad. IT has a hell of s scalling differene compared to advance math you can chech it out in bos site ... dont bbe to scared but yeah its hard >>>><<<< !SORRY
Didn't the chick who topped STandard English (Who did General Maths too I think) get 99.7 or somethin?

A l

HSC
N/A
Boxxxhead said:
Didn't the chick who topped STandard English (Who did General Maths too I think) get 99.7 or somethin?
I think it was actually 99.65. The highest UAI obtained by a student taking General Mathematics last year was 99.65, so it can't have been 99.70.
In other words, the highest UAI obtained by a student taking both English (Standard) and General Mathematics was 99.65 last year. That's proof that you can still get a good UAI with those subjects.

HSC
generally, you should only take either standard english OR generally maths, not two together because it retards your chances in a way that is hard to describe (it doesn't give you access to higher order thinking exercises found in the advanced courses).

though (this guy who i really hate) did both gen maths and std english and he got 91.40 or something last yeh. F**k i hate that guy. Stupid bloody curry ... yeh anyway :) Just try your hardest, or if you don't like where its leading you at the moment, change it some how, if possible.

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
backfire said:

hey cuz, yeah general maths and english aint that bad of a combo, assuming you do well in them and have picked better subs for your other 8 + units. by the way what UAI are you looking at? come to me if u need help with english or maths. dw. HSC i too overrated, but is still an important stepping stone.

HSC
backfire said:
Yeah you can still get a good U.A.I but only with good marks...people who take standard english in particular get lower marks only because standard english students (generally speaking)
kind of suck at their other subjects too, especially if they take humanities- that's how it at my school and it would seem a lot of schools too, because if you are good at adv. english then you can be good at mod and ancient history, along with subjects like legal studies- subjects that require good essay skills, critical minds, etc.

HSC
I didn't mean there was. I was just saying, the humanities are pretty similar, and they're all about essays, so if you're good at adv. english it follows you could be good at other humanities. Hey I do 4 units of english, 5 of history and french so I like humanities.:) <and gen. maths but thats for the easy marks ;)>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)