help with networking computers (1 Viewer)

HSC
I have two computers, one with broadband internet. How can I network them so that the other comp will also have internet access (from the same connecdion)..
I'm not really good with computers so try not to use jargon :)

thnx:)

doe

HSC
N/A
get a hub ~$50
make sure both pc's have network cards (~$15 each) but many motherboards nowadays have them builtin.
get some network cables (~$20 in total)
make the one that connects to the net a "gateway" and enable packet forwarding and nat (os dependant, which os?)
give the gateway the ip address 192.168.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.0
give the otherone the ip adress 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0
plug em both into the hub.
set the otherones default route to 192.168.1.1
set up the dns servers on both to your isp's dns servers.
should be jiggy.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
The cheaper option is just to use internet connection sharing in windows.

but it depends what kind of broadband modem you have.

sladehk

le random
HSC
Several other solutions are:

1) Get a network cable long enough to reach both computers. Windows has an inbuilt Network Connection Wizard
2) Get 2 wireless adapters. Set both to ad-hoc mode to allow them to share the net
3) Get 2 wireless adapters and a router. This will allow a better transfer rate.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Get a router. Ad hoc is usually not good, plus setting up the hardware is somewhat easier than software.

j_davo24

HSC
No matter which option you choose both comps need network cards (or wireless form of connection). If your connecting different versions of windows u might run into a bit of trouble, especially if one of them is win 98. I recently connected my two comps (XP and 98) up for internet sharing. Just got to make sure all the fiddly little settings are right.

If they are both XP or both can be XP (if installing XP is possible) you can use Internet COnnection Sharing, and it should work pretty easily.

sladehk

le random
HSC
If you want the best option(obviously costs more), get a router and 2 wireless adapters. A netgear 54 will be great. Just connect the broadband into the router then both can share the net! (It support up to 4 devices)

Ninga

HSC
Ive got this going. Ive got a router, and ive got a USB connection from router to my computer, as it doesnt have a network card atm. Then i've got a crossover cable going from a slot on the router to the other computer which has win ME installed. This seems to work ok, cept sometimes when my computer must get preference to the other and the connection drops out between router and the other computer. I dont think i had to change many settings to get this going either...just followed the manual that came with the modem/router. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)