help with powerplay concept (1 Viewer)

pink668

HSC
hi, i dont really understand the whole powerplay concept... (btw, im doing the ant and cleo module)

is it just people using techinques i.e. the powerplay to gain even more power. in teh unit, you are supposed to concentrate on these 'powerplays' but also the literary techiques used by the composer to portray these powerplays. however, these powerplay can sometimes be literary techniques themselves...

then how do fit the whole aspect of 'the people' into its- the thing in the syllabus...

i would also like to ask about possible thesises for the unit... thanks. i have some idea that the use of powerplay involves the sacrifice of morals, integrity, those around you etc... anymore ideas...

thank you!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Powerplay focuses on the role of power within the context of relationships, between those in the story/text, as well as the reader/authour relationship.

It is purely an investigation of these relationships and the power shifts and the dimensions of power within each context.

stasiamez89

HSC
hey there Im doing AnC too,

A good way to look at it is the relationships between the powerful, the powerless and the people. A good way to bring the people in is to look at the quotes from Ceasar, theres a few I can't remember them off the top of my head but I'm sure you'll find them. The question I like to ask is does the power really lie with the powerful if they rely upon the support of the people? you can forumlate a lot of discussion around that concept. You can also define powerplay as the manipulation of ones relationships with others to maintain control, works for all the major characters especially darling cleopatra. Under this you can then bring in all the binary oppositions e.g. masculine vs feminine, military power vs sexual power etc... that should help with discussion. Just come up with your own interpretation of powerplay that best suits your examples...

--stasia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)