Help with Quick Maths Questions! (1 Viewer)

starryblue

HSC
would anyone tell me how to do these quick question? i can't seem to figure them out:L

1. the surface area of a pyramid is 360cm^2. What is the length of the base if the height of the pyramid is 12cm?
2. A cone is made from a sector with radius of 10cm and has an angle of 240 degrees. find the radius of the cone.

tys for the help :D

lath

HSC
1. 10cm (this is assuming that it is a square pyramid...I kind of did trial and error so I cant really explain it to be honest)
2. ok..so if you draw a sector (part of a circle) with the radius as 10 cm and the included angle = 240 degrees..you can work out the size of the arc by working out the circumference of the whole circle and multiplying by 240/360 (since it is only a sector). This equals the circumference of the base of the cone formed by the sector. You can then work out the radius by dividing it by (2*pi). The final answer i got was 6 and two thirds centimeters.

Last edited:

starryblue

HSC
1. 10cm (this is assuming that it is a square pyramid...I kind of did trial and error so I cant really explain it to be honest)
2. ok..so if you draw a sector (part of a circle) with the radius as 10 cm and the included angle = 240 degrees..you can work out the size of the arc by working out the circumference of the whole circle and multiplying by 240/360 (since it is only a sector). This equals the circumference of the base of the cone formed by the sector. You can then work out the radius by dividing it by (2*pi). The final answer i got was 6 and two thirds centimeters.
thanks!

lath

HSC
1. Area of Tirangle = 0.5xHxB
360 divided by 12 = 30
30x2= 60 (x2 because 30 is only 0.5 of the base)
base = 60
i.e. (0.5x60x12=360)
It's a pyramid not a triangle.

D94

HSC
N/A
Assuming a square pyramid, there are 5 sides (4 triangles, 1 square). Area of a triangle = .5 * base * slant height. (I'll denote slant height as (sh)).

There are 4 triangles, so multiply by 4 = 2b(sh). Add the base which is the base^2, to get b^2 + 2b(sh).

To get the slant height, you need the hypotenuse of a vertical cross section. Think of a right angle triangle with the base as 1/2 b and the perpendicular height as h. Essentially, it's = (sh).

So we get:

Sub in h = 12:

starryblue

HSC
Assuming a square pyramid, there are 5 sides (4 triangles, 1 square). Area of a triangle = .5 * base * slant height. (I'll denote slant height as (sh)).

There are 4 triangles, so multiply by 4 = 2b(sh). Add the base which is the base^2, to get b^2 + 2b(sh).

To get the slant height, you need the hypotenuse of a vertical cross section. Think of a right angle triangle with the base as 1/2 b and the perpendicular height as h. Essentially, it's = (sh).

So we get:

Sub in h = 12:

Ohh i get it...i was on the right track...=) kinda..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)