Help with related materials? (1 Viewer)

xand

HSC U LATER
HSC
I recently did an assessment of frontline which asked to deliver a speech entitled "What price truth?" where 2 related materials are required of the student. I referred to the Insider and the Australian Journalists Associations code of ethics; a 12 point piece of what all Australian journalists MUST adhere to and NEVER do. I received 12 out of 20, and i'm absolutely spewing, the reason is because the english department is saying it isnt a valid related material, can anyone (students or teachers) offer suggestions of what i should say to dispute this as they are extremely adament yet not justifying it.

Im gonna have the big verbal biffo with them tomorrow, if anyone could offer suggestions as to why it should be allowed i'd really appreciate it,
cheers.

aurora_05

HSC
I guess some teachers wouldn't consider the code of ethics as a related text as most teachers give them to their classes to help their understanding of Frontline anyway. Like, they might be seeing it as though you didnt put any effort into your selection of extra resources because theres such an obvious contrast between that and Frontline sorta thing?
Our class wasnt allowed to use it as a resource simply because we were given it in class. I think it may even be suggested that teachers give to students to help with understanding from ETA or something....meh.
Sorry, but I cant really think of any reasons for you to put forward as an argument. I think they almost have a point...

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
basically, I would say that they will justify their position by saying that what you have chosen is not a text that deals with the themes and values of the module that you are required to interpret but is a government statute listing the code of ethics - it isn't what is required. I don't think there's really anything you can say to justify it as a valid text, sorry, especially if it was given out in class (I would think that it would have been in most schools). But look on the bright side --> firstly, at least you've found out now instead of after your final HSC exam and secondly, if you choose another text your marks are bound to go up even if just because there will be more techniques ot discuss.

if you're looking for texts on short notice, I recommend the poem "Attack of the Ad-Man" by Tessimond or Philip Adams article "Pork Pies and Scrambled Eggs"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)