Help with SFBH Dot Points (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I need help with two dot points:

- perform an investigation to examine plant shoots and leaves and gather first-hand information of evidence of pathogens and insect pests

(I think I was away when we did this, or maybe we didn't do it... I can't remember it at all!)

- gather and process information and use available evidence to discuss the changing methods of dealing with plant and animal diseases, including the shift in emphasis from treatment and control to management or prevention of disease

We don't have anything on this in our notes!!!

Any help would be muchly appreciated!!!

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
OK, the first one is a prac. We collected plants that had disease or pests on em. I had a bunch of flowers with aphids on em. Anyway, you examine them using a stereo microscope, or you look at em with a hand lens. Use textbooks to identify the disease/pest, and sketch what you observe. Risks include inhalation of disease or insect bites; prevent it by using protective clothing and carefully handling matter.

Part 2. It's talking about quarantine as a preventative measure. Technology is advancing so we can now prevent diseases before they form, ie hitting them before they attack through vaccination, quarantine etc. Do you get my drift?

Sorry I just woke up

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
I need help with two dot points:

- perform an investigation to examine plant shoots and leaves and gather first-hand information of evidence of pathogens and insect pests

(I think I was away when we did this, or maybe we didn't do it... I can't remember it at all!)

- gather and process information and use available evidence to discuss the changing methods of dealing with plant and animal diseases, including the shift in emphasis from treatment and control to management or prevention of disease

We don't have anything on this in our notes!!!

Any help would be muchly appreciated!!!
babydoll was right with the first dot point...

the second one you can talk about quarrantine... but there are other things aswell - such as vaccination programmes (if u have hinemann bio - it talks about how things such as smallpox have been erradicated by using vaccination programmes)

also you can talk about integrated pest management (IPM) - basically it's using a wide variety of things to combat the pest or disease - eg. in cotton, there is genetically engineered cotton, the use of sprays and pesticides, ploughing of the soil after harvest to kill larvae of heliothis (the pest)

remember it says "including" the shift in emphasis from treatment and control to management and prevention... so you can still talk about other new methods of controlling diseases (if applicable)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Thanks guys.... we certainly didn't do that prac.... maybe I was away or something *scratches head*

Delta32

usyd junkie
HSC
don't forget about public education programmes!! It's a biggy..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)