Help with subject choices!!! (1 Viewer)

najibnicholas

HSC
Basicallyy, I did maths advanced accelerator and now have no idea what subjects to drop since I have too many... I also have no idea how many units I have because of the whole maths extension thing. Advice on what subject/s to drop would be appreciated! :)

English Standard – 2 UNITS

Maths Advanced (Scored 91 in HSC) – ?? UNITS OR Maths Ext1 – ?? UNIT
Maths Ext2 – ?? UNIT

Physics – 2 UNITS

IPT – 2 UNITS (Would like to drop, but coming 1st place and don't know the risks concerning maths ext2...)

SDD – 2 UNITS

SOR – 1 UNIT (Coming first place though...)

:bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
StdEng - 2
MX1 - 2*
MX2 - 2*
Physics - 2
IPT - 2
SDD - 2
SoR I - 1

13 units.

* - When doing Maths Extension 2, it and Maths Extension 1 are counted as 2 units each - and Mathematics (2 unit) is not counted at all.

Maybe drop IPT or SDD, you have 4 units of basically the same thing. I'd drop IPT though.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Basicallyy, I did maths advanced accelerator and now have no idea what subjects to drop since I have too many... I also have no idea how many units I have because of the whole maths extension thing. Advice on what subject/s to drop would be appreciated! :)

English Standard – 2 UNITS

Maths Advanced (Scored 91 in HSC) – ?? UNITS OR Maths Ext1 – ?? UNIT
Maths Ext2 – ?? UNIT

Physics – 2 UNITS

IPT – 2 UNITS (Would like to drop, but coming 1st place and don't know the risks concerning maths ext2...)

SDD – 2 UNITS

SOR – 1 UNIT (Coming first place though...)
How are you doing in SDD?

najibnicholas

HSC
Which subjects are your favourite?
i like all my subjects, its just basically my choice between ipt and sdd... although ipt is sooo easy to go good in and from what ive heard about 'scaling', im not really left with a choice...

Schoey93

HSC
StdEng - 2
MX1 - 2*
MX2 - 2*
Physics - 2
IPT - 2
SDD - 2
SoR I - 1

13 units.

* - When doing Maths Extension 2, it and Maths Extension 1 are counted as 2 units each - and Mathematics (2 unit) is not counted at all.

Maybe drop IPT or SDD, you have 4 units of basically the same thing. I'd drop IPT though.
The maths teacher I had last year told me if you do Maths Extension 1 and Maths Extension 2, your mark for Mathematics (2 units) is estimated based on your performance in each Mathematics examination - therefore your Maths Ext. 1 and Maths Ext 2. marks are also an indication of how you would have performed in the Mathematics examination. Is this correct?

Also, Shadow Dude, I don't believe IPT and SDD are the same thing. They are related. I'm not sure, but I don't think you learn how to design software in IPT, while you may in SDD.

I think that it would be a shame to do Mathematics Extension 2 and then not have your great Mathematics mark count. Perhaps you could just do Mathematics Extension 1. Or do you think you will be able to perform better in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 than you did in Mathematics? Did you do the preliminary course for Mathematics Extension 1? If not, you may not be able to study it at HSC level.

Last edited:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
The maths teacher I had last year told me if you do Maths Extension 1 and Maths Extension 2, your mark for Mathematics (2 units) is estimated based on your performance in each Mathematics examination - therefore your Maths Ext. 1 and Maths Ext 2. marks are also an indication of how you would have performed in the Mathematics examination. Is this correct?

Also, Shadow Dude, I don't believe IPT and SDD are the same thing. They are related. I'm not sure, but I don't think you learn how to design software in IPT, while you may in SDD.

I think that it would be a shame to do Mathematics Extension 2 and then not have your great Mathematics mark count. Perhaps you could just do Mathematics Extension 1. Or do you think you will be able to perform better in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 than you did in Mathematics? Did you do the preliminary course for Mathematics Extension 1? If not, you may not be able to study it at HSC level.
That is false. Your 2 Units of Mathematics became zero units and don't even count if you do 4 unit Mathematics. Oh yeah and 91 in 2 Unit isn't that great in temrs of scaling. I'd much rather prefer a 85 in 3 Unit and 4 unit than a 91 in 2 Unit.

ilikebeeef

HSC
No. They're all separate subjects.

I think that it would be a shame to do Mathematics Extension 2 and then not have your great Mathematics mark count. Perhaps you could just do Mathematics Extension 1. Or do you think you will be able to perform better in Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 than you did in Mathematics?
Well if you are good at maths, chances are, the MX1/MX2 mark is better than the Maths/MX1 mark, because they scale so well.

Did you do the preliminary course for Mathematics Extension 1? If not, you may not be able to study it at HSC level.
He already did MX1 for prelims, there's no way otherwise would he consider doing MX2.

Schoey93

HSC
That is false. Your 2 Units of Mathematics became zero units and don't even count if you do 4 unit Mathematics. Oh yeah and 91 in 2 Unit isn't that great in temrs of scaling. I'd much rather prefer a 85 in 3 Unit and 4 unit than a 91 in 2 Unit.
Why doesn't it count when you learn the whole Mathematics course?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
You only need the Mathematics course for the basics of 3 Unit and 4 Unit but you do not sit the 2 Unit exam, only 3 Unit and 4 Unit. For some reason the Board of Stduies deosn't want kids sitting the same typoe of exam for a subject. For example in English Extension 2 you don't even sit an exam but have to submit in a major work. I don't know why the Board does that. Maybe to prevent 2 Unit from scaling too well.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
^ That's what I was told before I learned about Maths being 0 units.

Still, the look on the General Maths people's faces when I told them was either: Meh (from the people who don't really care) and OMG REALLY? (to those who really should be doing Maths because they do care)

ilikebeeef

HSC
^ That's what I was told before I learned about Maths being 0 units.

Still, the look on the General Maths people's faces when I told them was either: Meh (from the people who don't really care) and OMG REALLY? (to those who really should be doing Maths because they do care)
General Maths people generally don't care about maths enough to find that out by themselves. That's why they're called General Maths. :p

Tofuu

HSC
i say you should drop either SDD or IPT
though keep IPT if you feel really comfortable with it

try this, wait untill another assesment, the results should help you determine what to drop

lubeet520

HSC
It is assumed an Extension 2 student would have got a band 6 in 2 unit, hence the awesome scaling in 4unit.
That's not entirely correct. Ext2's high scaling is due to the generally high achievement levels of Ext2 students in other subjects compared to the achievement levels of non-Ext2 students in their other subjects.

Read this for more info.

Theoretically, Ext2 can scale really low if its students did consistently poorly in their other subjects, relative to their non-Ext2 peers in those subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)