Help with subject selections please (1 Viewer)

lgn

HSC
So I've done my subject selections on subjects I have interest in but I have no idea on how hard it will be. Please leave some advice and subject recommendations

I chose:
Ext 1 Math
Adv Eng
Physics
Chem
Legal
SOR 1

simplyinsanity

HSC
I hope you like memorising. Chemistry and legal studies are extremely content heavy while physics also has quite a lot of things which need to be remembered.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
So I've done my subject selections on subjects I have interest in but I have no idea on how hard it will be. Please leave some advice and subject recommendations

I chose:
Ext 1 Math
Adv Eng
Physics
Chem
Legal
SOR 1
In my view your choice is fine - maybe do Eco instead of Legal.

Study notes

HSC
Ext 1 Math

It can seem really hard at first but if dedicate some time for study and get help from teachers, friends, tutor etc, it get a lot easier. Don't think about dropped after the first month or so, or your first 3U exam.

Adv Eng

Basically just a deeper understanding of texts. Practice your essay structures and word-choice, learn to love Shakespeare, learn to talk about the area of study in an essay that's based on an area of study (e.g. If the essay is based on Journeys, make sure you actually talk about Journeys and solely the text itself, only use the text as supporting references.)

Physics

My worst subject in prelim. In my opinion, very hard and a big jump from year 10 science. Switch on from day 1 and make sure u perfect all your physics terminology and principles and get help when you don't understand something. Don't fall behind.

Chem

Sorry no personal experience, but I hear a lot of complaints about the level of difficulty so probably same advice as physics

Legal

No personal experience again, heard it's a lot of history within it.

SOR 1

Just content heavy, not "hard" to understand. Definitely my most relaxed subject but don't disregard it. It can be a fail-save in HSC if you don't perform well in your other subjects, since SOR is so much easier (IMO)

yobdog

HSC
According to my friends Bio has LOTS and LOTS to remember :/ so good luck if ur choosing bio

HSC
If you like them and you're good at them you'll do great if you're just doing in hopes of a better ATAR and you aren't good at it, you will suffer...

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
You need to provide your average marks for year 10 for sciences, eng, maths.
Anyways.

The description below for physics is wrong.
Ext 1 Math

It can seem really hard at first but if dedicate some time for study and get help from teachers, friends, tutor etc, it get a lot easier. Don't think about dropped after the first month or so, or your first 3U exam.

Adv Eng

Basically just a deeper understanding of texts. Practice your essay structures and word-choice, learn to love Shakespeare, learn to talk about the area of study in an essay that's based on an area of study (e.g. If the essay is based on Journeys, make sure you actually talk about Journeys and solely the text itself, only use the text as supporting references.)

Physics

My worst subject in prelim. In my opinion, very hard and a big jump from year 10 science. Switch on from day 1 and make sure u perfect all your physics terminology and principles and get help when you don't understand something. Don't fall behind.

Chem

Sorry no personal experience, but I hear a lot of complaints about the level of difficulty so probably same advice as physics

Legal

No personal experience again, heard it's a lot of history within it.

SOR 1

Just content heavy, not "hard" to understand. Definitely my most relaxed subject but don't disregard it. It can be a fail-save in HSC if you don't perform well in your other subjects, since SOR is so much easier (IMO)
Physics is not tough as long asu can apply concepts to formulas and numbers. Take an example: They might tell you to find the velocity of an object given a list of formulas and some variables. Physics is mostly based on simultaneous equations and how you can apply this to solving problems. If your good at applying mathematical skills then physics is really easy. Physics is also highly scaled but dont worry about it if u dont like it. ONLY PICK THE SUBJECTS YOU WILL ENJOY. I ENJOY ALL MY SUBJECT BUT BIO RUINED MY HIGHSCHOOL LIFE so make sure you pick what you like.

Physics: Applying formulas to real world and trust me mx1 contains physics too Less memorisation then chem.
MX1: Yeah read ^^^^ up in the other post
Legal : I heard that LEGal is very writing based and how you can support opinions. If ur good at essays and writing then pick this as u will be writing around 2-3 essays in hsc exam.
Chem: Basically The same as what I said for physics but this time more on the chemicals and atomic level size. It is very concept based and memorising is required just like most subjects. Yet again if you like chemicals and experimenting with compounds then surely pick this.

Through My senior high school life, I have enjoyed Chemistry and Physics the most. Physics is the best subject there ever was (personal opinion).
Like Study notes said you just have to keep up and you will ace ur hsc.
^sorry for the huge lecture.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Maths -
I don't have too much difficulty with maths and I find it can be a nice break from my other subjects. Just consistently do your homework and study a bit here and there and you should be fine!

Advanced English -
Hate it with my core, but I have to do it to keep extension 1. Honestly, I think Ext 1 is a trillion times better than English Advanced. I would actually recommend picking it up, if you enjoy critically thinking! With that being said, Adv is a bit dry (for me) and I have only found myself doing work during assessment times for it (do not follow my footsteps)

Physics -
Not too hard, its just really understanding concepts of the physical world. Just consistently make syllabus notes :)

Chemistry -
My friends do it. Some of them love it, some of them can't understand a thing. I think it also depends on your teacher. But I believe some of the practical assessments are really hard and unreasonable (same with physics)

Legal -
No experience

SOR 1 -
No experience

oskarwithak

HSC
My biggest mistake in life was not doing English Ext. 1.

Also don't do legal. It's apparently not only not desired by Law Schools and professors, but they also hate it. My friend at USyd Law told me the prof. spent 20 minutes berating a kid that did legal in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)