• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Help With Subject Selections. (1 Viewer)

angels2

HSC
Hey, I'm having trouble deciding on what subjects to choose for year 11. I'm currently in year 10 and I want to do med in the future hopefully. People have been telling me to do high scaled subjects and others tell me to do whatever I want to do and what I'm good at:mad1:
So now I'm totally confused.
I'm thinking about choosing the following subs:
  • Maths Adv.
  • Maths Ext 1.
  • English Adv.
  • Drama:headbang:
  • Dance:headbang:
  • Modern History
  • Chemistry
Are these subs any good, any adivce for year 10 students wishing to do well in the next two years and wanting to get into med?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You're more likely to do well in a subject you enjoy, but it's easier to do well ina high scaling subject XD If you want to do med, try and do subjects that you like bit have decent-high scaling. It'll just make a high ATAR aim more easily obtainable :)

Your subjects right now are fine with regards to scaling except drama and dance. You can either ace those subjects (as in get pretty much 1st in your school and aim for a near perfect score in your HSC exam) or swap those subjects to ones that have better scaling that you might enjoy.

The choice is pretty much up to you. Good luck!

angels2

HSC
Thanks heaps anna. If I work my butt off for drama i can aim for first I'm pretty sure and I absolutely love it, but for dance there's heaps of competition. What subjects would you suggest as high-scaling? I don't mind Bio, legal studies, anciety history, computing(IPT).

angels2

HSC
thanks mrs.destiny, I really do love both those subjects and understand how much time I'd have to put forth for both and how that could affect the other subjects I'm taking. Like I asked anna any subjects you would suggest as high-scaling?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Thanks heaps anna. If I work my butt off for drama i can aim for first I'm pretty sure and I absolutely love it, but for dance there's heaps of competition. What subjects would you suggest as high-scaling? I don't mind Bio, legal studies, anciety history, computing(IPT).
Biology and legal studies have the best scaling out of those subjects :)

Economics could also be a good scaling option if you enjoy commerce/business.

And woot you're doing modern. I hope you enjoy it ^^

angels2

HSC
AHA THANKS HEAPS. I love History to the max. FULL ON ! then again, I have an awesome teacher therefore I enjoy it the more :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
AHA THANKS HEAPS. I love History to the max. FULL ON ! then again, I have an awesome teacher therefore I enjoy it the more :)
Your welcome ^^

Oh and do tell us when you decide what your final subject choices are :)

lychnobity

HSC
Hey, I'm having trouble deciding on what subjects to choose for year 11. I'm currently in year 10 and I want to do med in the future hopefully. People have been telling me to do high scaled subjects and others tell me to do whatever I want to do and what I'm good at:mad1:
So now I'm totally confused.
I'm thinking about choosing the following subs:
  • Maths Adv.
  • Maths Ext 1.
  • English Adv.
  • Drama:headbang:
  • Dance:headbang:
  • Modern History
  • Chemistry
Are these subs any good, any adivce for year 10 students wishing to do well in the next two years and wanting to get into med?

Excellent choices, except for Drama and Dance, as someone else said already. BUT, out of biology/legal studies, I'd recommend you do legal studies. Absolutely awesome course. Very interesting in year 12, a bit dry at first in year 11, but that's because you'll have to learn basic legal concepts before using them on the good stuff.

And if you can, pick up ext 2 maths, will make your job getting into medicine much easier.

angels2

HSC
thanks heaps lychnobity. I'd prefer to do legal too. Nearly the whole grade takes Bio and i'm a bit worried about my rank as a result of the number of people who are doing it. Is ext 2 maths tiresome and a lot harder? If I score well in these subs will I definitely make it into med?

lychnobity

HSC
thanks heaps lychnobity. I'd prefer to do legal too. Nearly the whole grade takes Bio and i'm a bit worried about my rank as a result of the number of people who are doing it. Is ext 2 maths tiresome and a lot harder? If I score well in these subs will I definitely make it into med?
Maths extension 2 requires hard work, dedication, discipline and some abstract thinking. Especially hard work and discipline. There are topics that are easy, but there's no denying that it can get very difficult. You have to love/be interested in maths to succeed.

I can't guarantee that choosing subjects similar to mine (English Advanced, Maths Extension 1 & 2, Chemistry, Legal Studies) would get you a place in medical school, because entry depends on other criteria as well such as the UMAT and your performance in the interview.

BUT if you score well in these subjects, you stand a good chance of gaining the right ATAR to get in. That's all I'm saying.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'm aiming to get into med too. =) I think the ATAR is just 1/3 of our worries. This person i know got a 99.7 UAI and did shit in the UMAT. He did not make it into med. Plus there's also an interview people have to ace. Medicine is such a tedious process but I've always wanted to be a doctor.

HSC
i would recommend legal studies 100% but only if you love essay writing & that sort of stuff.
id recommend bio as well. year 11 bio is pretty dry though. it gets alot better in year 12.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
i would recommend legal studies 100% but only if you love essay writing & that sort of stuff.
id recommend bio as well. year 11 bio is pretty dry though. it gets alot better in year 12.
Does bio have a lot of essay writing?

angels2

HSC
I'm probably going to do legal:). I done a few prac. questions on the net for UMAT. it was alright but does it get harder?:burn:

angels2

HSC
Your welcome ^^

Oh and do tell us when you decide what your final subject choices are :)

- Thanks heaps for all the help, to everyone. I have finally made my decision.

I chose:
Mathematics Extension 1
English Advanced
Chemistry
Modern History
Drama
Legal Studies

I wish to pursue in medicine/journalism (media and communication).

My sincere thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out.:)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
- Thanks heaps for all the help, to everyone. I have finally made my decision.

I chose:
Mathematics Extension 1
English Advanced
Chemistry
Modern History
Drama
Legal Studies

I wish to pursue in medicine/journalism (media and communication).

My sincere thanks to everyone who replied and helped me out.:)
Enjoy doing these subjects, and make sure you especially ace drama.

Go for it :jedi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)