HSC
Hey, I'm currently doing:
Adv English
Ext 1 English
Ext 2 English
Modern History
Legal Studies
Adv Maths

And i can get 90s for english and legal, and 80s for modern history, except i'm barely lucky to scrape a pass in adv maths... My dilemma is: Is there a time limit on when i can drop to General maths. I had a feeling that its now too late (just after i did my half yearly) and im not going to be happy unless i get a uai of 90+. Do any of your schools set a timeframe in which you can drop to general maths?

BackCountrySnow

HSC
patty4848 said:
Adv English
Ext 1 English
Ext 2 English
Modern History
Legal Studies
Adv Maths

And i can get 90s for english and legal, and 80s for modern history, except i'm barely lucky to scrape a pass in adv maths... My dilemma is: Is there a time limit on when i can drop to General maths. I had a feeling that its now too late (just after i did my half yearly) and im not going to be happy unless i get a uai of 90+. Do any of your schools set a timeframe in which you can drop to general maths?
a friend of mine dropped just prior to half yearlies...

m&ss2008

HSC
patty4848 said:
Do any of your schools set a timeframe in which you can drop to general maths?
at a number of schools they will accept it if you can demonstrate you are competent at the course. ie. can keep up with the current work as well as satisfactorily completing any previous requirements without a teacher's aid.

all schools have delegated authority by the Board to some extent, so the policies may be different

HSC
WARNING: After sitting in on a general class, I can tell you now, it will drive you crazy.

You learn things like... basic shapes?
The teacher drew a square on the board. And labeled it "square".

They learn things like 2a + 3a = 5a.
Plus. CONSUMER ARITHMETIC. And nobody likes that.

m&ss2008

HSC
m.incognito said:
WARNING: After sitting in on a general class, I can tell you now, it will drive you crazy.

You learn things like... basic shapes?
The teacher drew a square on the board. And labeled it "square".
oh so true, general maths is laughed at by the other maths and you'll find kids in year 9 will get better marks than those in year 12 in the same test

m&ss2008

HSC
my maths (head) teacher told me there are still too many people in NSW who find general too hard, so the Board is thinking of bringing out some new, easier course sometime in the future. 'Practice Maths' or something.

dont know if this is true, but what the hell would they teach?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Isn't there a course called Applied Mathematics which is below General? During our exams, they were able to bring in all their textbooks to assist them in their paper.

m&ss2008

HSC
Kujah said:
Isn't there a course called Applied Mathematics which is below General? During our exams, they were able to bring in all their textbooks to assist them in their paper.
that would be awesome for 4 unit exams. it'd almost make conics fun

almost

HSC
you will have to ask your school. you should be able to though, heaps of people did it after my half yearly.

patty4848

HSC
Thanks I'll talk to my school and see what they think. Hope its not too late. And i go to a selective school, so the people who are in general maths nearly all get 90s coz they find the tests so easy. I was told it would be advantageous for me to get 90 in a general test, than get 50 in advanced maths test.

And we were told about two new courses coming in soon: Maths in Society and Maths in Practice. I think Maths in society is the easier one.

Jess007

HSC
our school allows to drop uo to a few weeks before trials, after that its too late. but going to a seletive too it might be different for you, but yeh, talk to your school :) u should be fine tho i hope for your sake

BackCountrySnow

HSC
they should call it supermarket maths.
If product A costs 75 cents and a customer pays $1, how much change will he/she get?

If a store buys product B at 50c and sells it for $1.20, how much profit is the store making per box?

I didn't think maths could get anymore basic then general..

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
patty4848 said:
. I was told it would be advantageous for me to get 90 in a general test, than get 50 in advanced maths test.

It is, a mark of 88 in adavanced is equivilent to a mark of 93 in general.
So high marks scale very similarly.

And general is nothing like what you have described, mind you i do general, and it is really easy, however people who do 4unit and sat a general test probably wouldn't get <90 because you havent learn the concepts, although you would have no problem doing so..

In y10 i began learning y11 2u and 3u when we finished the course, and i coped fine with that, depsite me regretably picking general now.

cs01001

HSC
Contray to what most people think, General ain't easy.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
patty4848 said:
Adv English
Ext 1 English
Ext 2 English
Modern History
Legal Studies
Adv Maths

ill like to say dont drop to general i think you can drop anytime i remmeber halfyearly one of my mate got 0% in 2unit maths then dropped to general dont know how well he gone there
-2unit adv maths is TOTALLY DIFFERENT to general maths
-its not what your mark you get and if u failed or not its your RANK
eg. i got an average mark last year in 3unit maths in school 25% average rank was 7*/87 i got 26/50 in hsc
2unit maths i got 59% in school rank was like below average out of 100 but my hsc mark was 74
so yeah hope my eg help

neeksy45

HSC
im in the same situation.
i have just done my half yearly advanced maths test and dont think i did very well.
i think i may have passed but not much better.
and general maths seems very easy so i think it would be better to drop UNLESS you need advanced maths for something.
the only problem i am thinking now is how does my bad marks in advanced go when i drop to general?
because obviously i have done a percentage of my HSC mark now in advanced and have a horrible average(around 55% i think) and am ranked maybe 9th out of 10 students.
so do they scale them for a general mark or stay as they are?
if anyone knows that would be great :)

westlife

HSC
this all sounds soo formilar. at the start of the year of the hsc i drop math extension bescause i couldn't do the 2 unit course and was failing it, so i was told to drop the extension (which i could do) and focus on just mathmatics. i followed the adviced given to me.
i then dropped the tutoring i was doing because my tutor continually showed me different ways which confused me to hell. as well a this he always made me feel really stuipd and useless, which wasn't what i was paying him for.
a month later i wanted to drop mathmatics altogether. i am at the buttom of the 50 odd students and i just can't seem to get it. my parents won't allow me to drop maths, they said i need some for of it on my hsc. as well as i need a back up with my units if i fail another subject.
the school however said i can't go to general as thee is no room left and i would have to catch up on all the work (it doesnt look very hard). my teacher who is the best teacher ever, tells me to stick it out as i've already come this far.
however i was iin my half yearly yeaterday which went for 2 1/2 hours, with the first hour and a half i done everything i could and spent the next hour going ovr trying to come up with marks here and there. hopefully it i'll get about 50%, realisticilly 30%.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
generals a waste of time and effort. it scales hopelessly too. someone who did general would be better off not doing maths altogether and picking a more challenging 2u subject like economics.

HSC
general IS easy. but im pretty sure that its better for me to still have 10 units and be able to focus on my other subjects.

aiming for a 100 in general.

hell yes.

my brain would explode with boringness were i doing mathematics and physics.

oh, and queensland has a below general equiv. course.

they call it "consumer maths".
from what i have heard... they play poker and blackjack.

but yeah...it doesnt go toward a OP(UAI equiv.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)