Help with Themistocles and Miltiades (1 Viewer)

Elgeno

HSC
Hey gang,

I've got a question where I have to 'assess the contributions of Miltiades and Themistocles to the Greek victory in the Persian wars 490-479BC.'

I have a bit of Themistocles but am having trouble finding anything on Miltiades, can anyone help me out? Information on both would be great, specifically on the battle of Marathon and Salamis.

Cheers, stay safe. :)

dsruptdSPuNKRaT

HSC
Look at the Macquarie study guide for the info in a nutshell. Here's 'Role of Miltiades" from it:

" The leadership of Miltiades was crucial for the Greek victory over the Persians. He understood Persian tactics from his time in the Chersonese. He was able to devise a strategy that used the strengths of the Athenian hoplites and the weaknesses of the Persian soldiers. The Athenian and Plataean hoplites had far superior armour (against the Persians' wicker shields) and were probably drilled much more in co-operative combat than the multinational force of the Persians. Miltiades exploited this aspect.
Miltiades also made use of the terrain. The swampy land and the rocky hills basically neutralised the strongest arm of the Persian forces - the cavalry. This gave the Greeks a great advantage since the battle was basically fought by the infantry.
Under Miltiades' leadership, the Athenians has the will to resist. They voted to go and meet the Persians before they reached Athens. Athens refused to consider submission.
Miltiades became the undisputed leader of Athens. "

Hope it helps some. If you want anymore, let me know.

topsyturvy86

HSC
Miltiades <3 - He really shines in Marathon.

Talk about the 'Miltiades Decree'. “Among the Athenian commanders opinion was divided” - Herodotus. Some council members wanted to stay and protect the city wall, but Miltiades wanted to go and meet the enemy.

He chose the right time to attack, when he knew that the Persian cavalry was absent.
As dsruptd points out from the Macquarie guide, an important thing about Miltiades is that he had all the knowledge about the Persian fighting methods from his observations during the Mardonius expedition of 492 (?) BC.
Athenian strategos, accredited for work at Marathon.
This helped because he knew that the Persian formations were strong centre, weak wings. So, the Greeks then positioned their centre to be weak, and the outside to be strong, so they could effectively centre and surround the Persian centre (Immortals).

Losses from Marathon, according to Herodotus: 64,000 Greeks 192-Athenians
“already high reputation of Miltiades in Athens greatly increased”

There's more on contributions of Miltiades, but hopefully this gets you started.

Elgeno

HSC
Thanks heaps, girls. I really appreciate it, there's some good stuff there.

R_K_C

HSC
Look at the Macquarie study guide for the info in a nutshell. Here's 'Role of Miltiades" from it:/QUOTE]

Would you happen to know where I could find this book? Is it online anywhere? I have the same question and need a bibliography.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)