help with utopia/dystopia (1 Viewer)

jblack01

HSC
hey,
i recently received an assignment where i have to compare and contrast Utopia (utopia) and A clockwork orange (dystopia)(novel). In it we have to talk about the imaginary and authentic aspects in both and talk about how the writer creates "such" worlds for the audience. Anyone got any ideas how i can take this? Or just even start this? or any other form of help?

curlygirl93

HSC
hey,
i recently received an assignment where i have to compare and contrast Utopia (utopia) and A clockwork orange (dystopia)(novel). In it we have to talk about the imaginary and authentic aspects in both and talk about how the writer creates "such" worlds for the audience. Anyone got any ideas how i can take this? Or just even start this? or any other form of help?
'jblack' you should approach it by creating a thesis.
what is your main idea about both texts, what do they both involve that creat such worlds for the reader.
think of the context it was written in
what do the characters represent?
how does this all relate back to the worlds that the novels create.
for example, i need to work on my sentences.. and you had better not steal my work hahahaha
The characters and their representations in ‘Utopia’ contribute to the idea that More has created an imaginary island as a carriage for his solutions. The island of Utopia is revealed to audience through a fictional character Raphael Hythodaeus (which translates to ‘Dispenser of nonsense’.) The audience can conclude that Raphael is a mouth-piece for More as More talks up his opinions- ‘there’s so much wit and wisdom in everything you say’ and Raphael’s stories were scarcely interrupted. The character of Raphael supports the view of the audience interpreting an imaginative world. Whereas the other two main characters in this novel are existent humanists’- Thomas More and his companion Peter Giles. The use of these two figures creates a contrasting effect by promoting authenticity within the novel. All three characters use persuasive language to promote the laws and customs of Utopia and convince the audience that the King ‘doesn’t know how to govern free men.’ Raphael states this after using an analogy to emphasise the selfish and inherent nature of the Monarch- ‘In short, it’s a pretty poor doctor who can’t cure one disease without giving you another, and a king who can’t suppress crime without lowering the standards of living’. He then compares this to the system of utopia where ‘the king has to swear a solemn oath at his coronation that he’ll never keep more then a thousand pounds of gold in his treasury, or an equivalent amount of silver.’ By juxtaposing the egotistical nature of their King with the Utopian system, Raphael is able to convince the audience of the better living conditions and existence of Utopia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)