help with wireless stuff... (1 Viewer)

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
ok i completely don't understand wireless... i just got a new dell laptop (inspiron 700m) and it has a wireless pci card in it, we want to get a wireless router to connect my laptop and at least one (possibly 2) desktops...
if we get a router - what other hardware do we have to get for the desktops (they don't have wireless cards or whatever) and for my laptop will i also have to get one of those usb key thingies to transmit back to the router or does the router come with all that? and anyone have any brands/models they recommend (prob around the $200-$250 mark for router)
(ps. we have telstra broadband at the moment - only on 1 of the desktops though)

sunny

meh.
HSC
If your laptop has a wireless PCI network card already, then it won't need any more additional hardware. The PCs will need to though. If you want the PCs to be wireless as well, they will need wireless network cards.

If they are relatively new computers (say, last year or two), they might already have built in wired network cards, in which case all you need to buy are network cables. Most routers support wireless and wired connections at the same time.

mischaa

HSC
N/A
We have a Netcomm Integrated Gateway (product code -NB5580W). There are 4 wireless ports and 4 cable ports.

It was easy to install. We just change it over from the existing modem/router that we had. The instructions of how to set up was easy.

We have 3 laptops and for the 1 that didn't have an onboard wireless card, we bought a Netcomm PMCIA network card.

We went to Harris Technology because it was convenient. I'd go to a store that have people who know what they are selling. I've found that Dick Smith sales people are generally confusing.

Goodluck ! Its so convenient having a wireless network.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
mischaa said:
I've found that Dick Smith sales people are generally confusing.
Just on that, so are Officeworks and Computer World people. They don't really know the hardware.

Bone577

HSC
N/A
Templar said:
Just on that, so are Officeworks and Computer World people. They don't really know the hardware.
I asked for Thumbscrews at Dicksmith and they looked at me wierd. They had no clue what a thumbscrew was.
I also asked 3 different computer stores, none of which had any clue either. Pretty fucking ludicrous considering Thumbscrews are about the greatest thing ever.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
For a laptop you'll probably use a PCMCIA wireless card and for your PC you'll use a PCI network card.. which will have an antenna of some sort attached.

The router will probably not come with wireless cards. It's advisable to get the same brand for everything IMO because it will all use the same software, although you don't have to install this if you know what you're doing :)

I use a D-link DWL-900AP+ access point - so far it seems pretty good although the signal gets somewhat weakened from one end of the house to the other. I've got a D-link wireless PCI card in the only unwired computer in the house, and my laptop has an inbuilt wifi thingo. All works well together.

A good place to get a router - places like harvey norman and dse will be expensive but will definitely have it in stock. A local computer store mightn't have exactly what you're looking for but I believe it will be slightly cheaper.. not sure tho.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
If you dont want to get a network card (you might not have any available PCI slots) you can get USB wireless receivers. At my dads house we used an Apple Airport for a router and it worked fantastically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)